Which free fire wall

Koochy 23:00 18 Oct 2006

Hi all i have been using zone alarm free for a while now and i was very happy with it up until i set up a wireless network recently and i am having no end of problems with it on the network so my question is can anyone recommend a good firewall free or pay for version after all i don't mind paying to look after my computers.

Koochy

Forum Editor 23:12 18 Oct 2006

and I've experienced no wireless network problems - or indeed any other problems.

rômanab 23:12 18 Oct 2006

How about Sygate click here

or

Kerio click here

I've read good things about both.

Miros 23:20 18 Oct 2006

AOL have a free firewall by McAfee which you can get a paid for version here.click here
I prefer Zonealarm myself to McAfee another is Comodo click here which is free. and comes recommended by some on this forum.
I don't think it would be a good idea to run two together as they may conflict.

Stuartli 00:03 19 Oct 2006

What's listed in ZoneAlarm's Firewall tab>Zones section?

Koochy 10:47 19 Oct 2006

SIS191 100/10 ethernet device Packet scheduler miniport.
Wan (ppp/slip) interface
Loopback adapter
And then four ip addresses that i have manually added which i don't really understand as i have only two computers on the network all four ip addresses follow on in line but obvoiusly they keep changing as as soon as i add the one that has been blocked the network is okay again.

Any idea what a loopback adapter is?

Koochy

Koochy 10:51 19 Oct 2006

Thanks for your input but i also use both the desk top and laptop on the internet as well and after reading lots of threads on this forum advising against using the Windows XP firewall i decided to use a third party one. Are you saying that the Windows XP firewall is okay to use for protection on the internet now?

Koochy

johndrew 11:11 19 Oct 2006

I looked at various firewall when I wanted something better than that supplied with XP and evenntually went for Kerio. So far excellent.

Better add that I don`t use a wireless system or network.

Koochy 11:29 19 Oct 2006

Thaks for that i will take a look

Koochy

Koochy 11:31 19 Oct 2006

Yet another typo that was supposed to be "Thanks for that i will take a look"
and i will also change the batteries in my keyboard.

Koochy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 19 Oct 2006

Change from ZA to Sygate firewall as I could not get ZA to work properly on a network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone