which firewall to use?

spook08 14:17 01 Jun 2008

having apparentley 3 firewalls on my laptop windows firewall/norton 360 firewall/and netgear router firewall which one should be used, or can some of them be used together?

Norton seems to have taken over and turned windows firewall off which gives a warning, have heard that you shouldn't have more than one running at the same time is this true?

would the router firewall be ok with the others?

thanks for any input on these burning questions!

Technotiger 14:21 01 Jun 2008

I think you should find that Windows firewall is automatically switched off when you have another software firewall running. One software firewall and your router's firewall is sufficient.

csqwared 14:22 01 Jun 2008

As I understand it you should not use more than one software firewall on a system, on your set up that is Windows annd Norton. The netgear firewall is a hardware solution whch ought to be assisted by one software. The Windows firewall is a waste of space and is usually automatically turned off an installed firewall which is why Norton has "taken over". If you are happy with the Norton package, having no problems, leave things as they are.

Technotiger 14:23 01 Jun 2008

On that last sentence I should have added - running the two together.

RobCharles1981 15:10 01 Jun 2008

Ideally, you can use the netgear router firewall but for better means of safety you should use a software firewall I use comodo click here

If I where you get rid of Norton what version of Norton do you have??

csqwared 15:55 01 Jun 2008

I would agree with RobTheOrganGuru when he suggests getting rid of Norton, which is why I said "if you are happy with the Norton package". It's a huge user of resources but can be difficult to uninstall although there is this click here

There is a whole raft of free firewalls you can use, Comodo being one and IMHO, the best one ZoneAlarm, but do a Google and take your pick. There are also loads of threads on here regarding these "freebies".

RobCharles1981 16:54 01 Jun 2008

In what csqwared said with the Norton Removal Tool do that and get some free software:

Avast Antivirus
Comodo Firewall

Antispyware:

Spyware Terminator
Spyware Blaster

Super Antispyware
A-Squared

from click here

spook08 17:32 01 Jun 2008

the norton 360 came free as a 60 day trial with the laptop so not sure if i will continue with it after, but will then have to have some anti-virus software to replace and then turn back on the windows firewall.

Totally-braindead 18:10 01 Jun 2008

For anti virus protection thats free many of swear by AVG free and theres also AVAST free.
Either would do you.

csqwared 19:29 01 Jun 2008

I'ld seriously re-consider your decision to turn the Windows firewall back on, it really is a useless piece of kit. You'ld be far, far better off with one of the free ones previously mentioned. Can't locate it at the moment but there is a thread on here which lists just about every conceiveable piece of software for dealing with viruses, malware,spyware and anything else that might try to creep in. My advice is use 'em.

spook08 21:16 01 Jun 2008

thanks will look out for other firewalls

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?