which external hard drive to purchase

daisy2bell 16:34 14 Oct 2006

I am looking to purchase an external hard drive , to back up my date etc. which brands are the best ones to go for.
Thanks

Technotiger 19:21 14 Oct 2006

Hi, most brands are as good as each other, I think mostly it is just personal preference or, in my case, price, that decides me which to buy.
I have a 80gb Maxtor internal drive and a 160gb Maxtor usb drive - I am happy with both.

Cheers.

conrail 20:27 14 Oct 2006

I have the pica one 250 Gb external drive, came with software that allowed me to do a complete system backup, which I have used to back up 2 pc's and 2 laptops, no problems

daisy2bell 09:24 15 Oct 2006

Thanks Guys, I'll head towards PC world and see what they have.

Tycho 09:32 15 Oct 2006

I have just bought a 300GB Maxtor from Novatech for a total of £95.

Good value, I thought

T

fitshase 09:59 15 Oct 2006

I have the Buffalo Linkstation as an external drive. It links up via a network cable instead of USB so you can share the drive on a home network. It also has the advantage of having a built in usb print server so you can share printers on the network as well.

Slightly more expensive than a standalone external HDD but for me it is worth it as I use 3 computers at home and can share the data and printer amongst them all.

FatboySlim71 10:00 15 Oct 2006

I bought this one around 4 months ago, I realise its more expensive than the larger bodied drives but my needs were that I wanted an easily transportable external hard drive and this one fitted the bill perfectly, its designed for a laptop and is powered from the USB so it requires no external power supply in most cases, if your scenario is the same as mine I can highly recommend this external, Below is the manafacturers website.

click here

FatboySlim71 10:01 15 Oct 2006

Forgot to mention that Western Digital are one of the highest quality brands in Hard drives!

daisy2bell 13:52 15 Oct 2006

Went along to Comet and went for a Iomega 320GB
Thanks for all your replys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?