Which external hard drive??

deedee87 17:44 16 Dec 2007

Hi could any one please advise me. I have a laptop which has 60gb, which is quickly being consumed by my music files. I obviously need a external hard drive.I need it to permanently store music files, and temporarily store movies/video files. until copied to disc.

I have been on numerous sites, and become confused. Maxtor 500gb has been recommended, but I think this is an age related thing, without giving real pros, and cons.

Cache is that important, rpm speed ??. usb, sat fire wire?? which one. Do they all need formatting before file transfer

Do I really need 500gb, I know of Seagate,and their 5 year limited warranty (whatever that means) and that they brought Maxtor, but are they the only good ones on the market. and is big really best. I have £50-£70 all in to spend

I have no idea. any help would be great.
Thanks
DeexI

Diemmess 18:01 16 Dec 2007

You really don't need anything special just for the data storage you have in mind.

You may even have an old IDE HD which coud serve the purpose for many a day. It isn't going to be switched on all the time is it?

Whether it is SATA or IDE is not that important.

Just buy whatever feels comfortable, and just to throw more mud into the confusion, I have a personal yen for Western Digital HDs.

deedee87 18:38 16 Dec 2007

thanks for your reply, I dont have an old IDE HD ????? whatever that is, just this laptop, which is on for atleast 14 hours aday, huge possibility, the same sort of hours for the external maybe more, if it can be plugged into a tv. lol

the problem is there is too much choice out there,

tullie 19:50 16 Dec 2007

You will be using it for data storage,no need to have it plugged into a usb port at other times.
As for the TV bit,that one loses me.

iscanut 19:53 16 Dec 2007

Maxtor & Lacie are both very good. Buy as much storage space as you can afford.May need to format to NTFS but that is very quick and easy.

MCE2K5 19:57 16 Dec 2007

"if it can be plugged into a tv. lol"

This can, click here=

Just a bit over your budget.

deedee87 00:23 17 Dec 2007

Thanks all for you advise, it's appreciated, I meant hd to laptop and laptop to tv.. so we can watch the movies on a bigger screen...I have a better idea now, I will be back for alittle advise regarding formatting .
In the mean time wishing you all a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year

tullie 15:43 17 Dec 2007

Put the movie onto dvd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone