Which DVD writer?

naggis 20:22 16 Jan 2004

I am just starting to edit digital video directly using a Firewire connection. I want to write the finished movies to DVD which can then be played on any DVD player. Can anyone recommend a suitable low cost writer? What do you have to look out for? Do they all come with writing software? Which is the best writing software?
Sorry there are so many questions - its just an whole new world at the moment so any help would be very gratefully received.
Thanks

Quiller. 23:29 16 Jan 2004

As you have been pushed down to the next page, this at least will bump you up.

I use a a dvd writer quite often, mine came OEM from ebuyer, no software. It's a matshita drive, don't laugh, it's quite good and I have had it for about a year.

Look for a duel format drive, and a retail box one.The retail box should have the writing software. This will give you the option to burn in + and - format. The - format works the best with most dvd players.

This looks quite good for £80
click here

By the way has your firewire card got the editing software?

Blokka 07:25 17 Jan 2004

I have purchased 2 of these drives for people and they seem to be very good plus they do all formats check it out here click here

naggis 08:55 17 Jan 2004

Hi Format Fred
Thanks for the info. I have a Lite On CD writer which has been ok so far. Their DVD writer seems good value so maybe I give it a go.
No software came with the Firewire card so I am looking for something useful at the best price - what do you use?

Quiller. 11:32 17 Jan 2004

I use pinnacle 8.0. s.e. that came bundled with the firewire card and cable. Bought it about 15 months ago for around £28.00 and it has been real good value.

It does take a while to transition the files, but the features on it are very good.

spuds 11:42 17 Jan 2004

PCW have a Ricoh DVD writer on special offer at present. Perhaps worth a look, if you have a local store handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone