Which dvd format is best

Nessie 22:20 24 Mar 2006

Am thinking of buying a dvd copier and want to know if RAM format is needed. If I am copying data dvds or my collection of dvd films which format is best or does it matter

Nessie 22:22 24 Mar 2006

what is +R and -R

FatboySlim71 23:12 24 Mar 2006

The ram format is used mainly for dvd recorders, there the type that you have connected to a tv. The +r and -r formats are pretty much the same, the -r tend to be more compatible than the +r, I have never used the +r format, I always use the -r format. The best discs that I have found for compatability/reliabilty are Verbatim -r, I have used countless of these and have never had a single problem. You can buy cheap discs but you are more likely to have problems with them.

DVD-R
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM has the best recording features but it is not compatible with most DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. Think more of it as a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM is usually used in some DVD Recorders.

Hope this helps.

FatboySlim71 23:16 24 Mar 2006

I can reccomend a good dvd writer and this will write to -r +r -rw +rw and also to the dual layer type in the mentioned formats, this drive will as well write to the ram format, the drive is the NEC ND-4550, I use this drive and a few of my mates use them and we have never had any probs, they are a excellent drive.

Nessie 00:35 25 Mar 2006

Thanks fatbot. have just orgered the player and discs you suggested cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?