Which DVD Drive ?

Furkin 17:45 01 Aug 2009

My Acer Desk top came with a LG GCC 4480B. I added an LG GSA 4167B at some point.
I'm now thinking of replacing the older (GCC4480)kit.

I note that they are both ATAPI.
1/ Am I right in assuming that this means IDE ?

2/ Do I have to put the same format in next time ? (I'm pretty sure my HDD's are PATA)

3/ Whilst I like the LG gear (in this instance)and the 4167 was highly recommended on these pages, (s'why I bought it !) I don't need to stick to the brand.
What has happened in the past few years in this line ? I know nothing about Dual Layer etc etc ?I'm not too bothered about BlueRay yet (unless there's a super duper item that people are falling over themselves to recommend) so what featutres should I be looking for now ?

This is a home machine running XP > SP3 > 2gb (max)ram. I don't do a lot of burning, but if i'm upgrading It makes sense to get the latest gear (cost dependent).

All help & advice appreciated.

F

GaT7 17:56 01 Aug 2009

1/ Yes, more or less (click here)

2/ No. If your motherboard has SATA ports you can install a SATA DVD-rw drive instead. They are the same price as IDE ones, so no reason not to go for one if you've a spare SATA port (a few suggestion with links in this recent thread click here)

3/ Yes, LG make good stuff. And no, you don't need to stick with them & fancy a change. Blu-Ray readers/writers are still very expensive (as you'll see from the links in the above PCA thread!)

G

GaT7 18:11 01 Aug 2009

OEM drives (& some retail ones) do not come with any cables, so if you've no SATA data & power cables (check your PSU for the latter) you'll need to purchase these too. G

Furkin 18:32 01 Aug 2009

Thanks G.

I was reading a review on these pages about an LG item, which also referred to a Sony AW-G170A. Sounds good enough for me,,,, but is now discontinued.

I followed your links in the other post, and I think the Sony stuff looks better than LG now.

It looks as if my machine only supports PATA/IDE.
I'll start looking for the Sony gear with pata interface (if there are any).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As soon as I can get it sorted, I want to add a WIRELESS / REMOTE HDD - so will be looking for advice on that at some point.

Furkin 18:35 01 Aug 2009

P.S:
I'll be replacing an existing drive,,,, so will 'probably' be re using the existing cables etc.

Furkin 18:26 10 Aug 2009

,,,, well as I expected,,, there are some good SONY IDE drives out there,,,, but I can't find anything near the excellent (to my eyes) AD7241S (which is - I think - only SATA).

I've spent all day searching & also e-mailed several suppliers (only one replied, saying: "We don't give pre sales details").

Sorry to take your time again, but are you aware of such a machine &/or supplier please ?

cheers

Stuartli 18:43 10 Aug 2009

I have the Sony AW-G170A (excellent drive), also available from Sony partner NEC (the brand name is now Optiarc).

There are still some IDE optical drive rewriters about, including this from Sony/NEC/Optiarc:

click here

More:

click here

click here

citadel 18:50 10 Aug 2009

you can get a lg pata dvd writer oem at scan.co.uk 16.27 plus delivery. its dual layer that means you can get more on one disc. example when you watch a movie on a bought disc, there is a slight pause halfway through as it moves onto the next layer.

Furkin 18:58 10 Aug 2009

thanks Stuartli,

I have seen the 7200, and if all else fails, will settle for that, but I was hoping to get a bit closer to the 7241S or 7240.

Maybe set my sights a bit high for IDE eh ?

GaT7 19:17 10 Aug 2009

Sorry, forgot all about this post!

A few cheaper ones to consider (when one takes delivery costs into account):

- LG 22x Turbo click here = £15

- LG GH22NP20 22x click here = £17

- LiteOn IHAP122-19 22x click here = £18

- Sony Optiarc AD-7220A 22x click here = £18

Don't go by figures alone. There's nothing between 24x & 22x. The fastest current DVD media is 18x anyway. G

Furkin 08:58 11 Aug 2009

CITADEL: Cheers mate. I particularly wanted a Sony item this time. Read a couple of Reviews, & they grabbed my attention.

CB - Thanks again: It looks like i'll be going for the AD7220A in the end then.

I'm not a great fan of E-Buyer, but I did call them yesterday to ask what Sony they had with IDE,,,, & was told to "look on Google" ! Didn't do a lot to endear me to the company.

I've since dropped SONY a line to ask if they had anything like the 7241S with IDE,,,, but one never knows if companies like that will answer, at all. I read somewhere that one was being made,,,, but cos 'I' want one, I don't s'pose they did !

If I don't hear anything else in the next 48 hours, i'll go with the 7220A.

thanks to you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?