Which DVD To Buy?

stef9000 21:38 09 Nov 2003

HI

Can anybody give me some help with buying a dvd copier, idealy it should be able to copy original dvd's )oops did i really say that).

Ideally i dont want to spend no more then 150 quid better still 100 quid would be great im after a sechond hand writer, probably off e-bay.

Which format would be best + or -.

Thanks i'm clueless about dvd writers so please help!

stef

SGT BARNES 21:45 09 Nov 2003

you can get the new liteon dual format 4 speed dvd writer from ebay for about 99 quid

sdf 21:50 09 Nov 2003

unfortunately every DVD I've come across has copy protection on it. If you were to want to copy a DVD I stress purely for your own personal use as discs are vunerable to scratching etc, the only way I know around it would be to purchase a divx encoder. the quality of the film would suffer a bit but provided the DIVX copies are being played on a reasonably specified machine the difference would be neglegable. I hasten to add though just so this thread doesnt get deleted... any copying of media without the concent of the owner is a breach of copywright and thus subject to legal proceadings. but once in DIVX format you can write it usually onto a standard CD. there may be other ways round your question but this is the only one I know that doesnt envolve telling people how to circumvent write protected media. hope this helps

alan 2273 23:21 09 Nov 2003

Take a look at this and under £ 100 click here

SGT BARNES 23:31 09 Nov 2003

i'm going to get a dvd writer for the purposes of burning home movies from a digital video camera , cant see the point in copying original dvd's unless for back up purposes , but then why dont you keep your originals in a safe place.

i'm not exactly whiter than white when it comes to the odd dodgy cd or 2 but when it comes to dvd's i like to own the original.

i own over 200 of em , all kept in a locked cupboard away from little fingers.

the only other reason to copy an original dvd is so that you can pass it round , sell it or whatever.

i've bought a few copied dvd's in my time but i've come to the conclusion that they are just not worth it , the sound is usually bad and the picture quality is at best watchable.

dont shoot me down for being resonably honest , but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

dazzling (work) 08:20 10 Nov 2003

try the pioneer 106 dual format but works with the cheap dvd's so running costs less.darren

Stuartli 08:48 10 Nov 2003

My son has a Pioneer 106 which has proved excellent - it cost ?128.

But it's on the overclockers website at ?79.99 plus VAT now...:-)

Stuartli 08:49 10 Nov 2003

Best source for good, low cost DVD media is click here

dazzling (work) 10:21 10 Nov 2003

is it cheaper than blankdiskshop?ill have a look have a sony burner and its picky about disks.darren

johnbhoy 11:11 10 Nov 2003

My wife bought me the above DVD Writer for my Christmas,(she had to give me it now to ensure it was working etc). I have not done much with it yet, but all the reviews I have read about it appear to be favourable, although I am told the Pioneer 106 is probaly one the best DVD writers around.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

PA28 14:24 10 Nov 2003

I have the Pioneer 106 which is a cracking multistandard DVD writer. But it was fussy about my setup under Win98 and never worked properly until I upgraded my system to XP with Nero 6 on board. It now works fine and takes every type of disk I feed it - even non-branded cheapies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie