Which drive to replace?

SteevScotland 11:59 30 Dec 2003

I have just aquired a nwe DVD writer. Which drive should i replace with it?

My DVD ROM or my CDRW?

Cheers S

TBH1 12:03 30 Dec 2003

I would swap your cdrw out - - - then if you need to "backup" your DVD's, you can, without copying to hd first - - - though I guess your cdrw has a quicker cd write speed than your new dvd writer.

Ben Avery 12:03 30 Dec 2003

It depends on what you want to do?

If you want to burn DVD discs "on the fly" you will need the second CD Drive to be able to read them!

If you don't need that, then may as well ditch the DVD drive and keep the CDRW for burning normal CD's, saving wear and tear on your DVDRW drive and maybe even having faster burn times (depends on your CDRW speeds)

BA

Ben Avery 12:04 30 Dec 2003

Beat me to it! I should really learn to type less...

BA

SteevScotland 12:14 30 Dec 2003

I was thinking the same.

Mind you I dont even know the write speeds or what formats the drive supports. All I have is the drive.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Its an IBM multi recorder
And It says on the front of the drive that its DVD+ ReWritable.

Will try looking up the part number on IBM website for spec.

Cheers S

TBH1 12:21 30 Dec 2003

Sounds like it will do DVD+R and DVD+RW - -and of course, ordinary CD. Modern ones coming out now do all that plus DVD-R,DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

SteevScotland 12:46 30 Dec 2003

I thought so. But unless im wrong the IBM site says it can do them all. Not convinced though.
Wish I had a bit more info. Doesnt matter anyway I got it for nothing from a friend who got it at a computer fair as an Xmas present.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 21:15 04 Jan 2004

Mind you Most of what I'll be burning will be on CD. Would I be better just keeping. The CD writer. If Im copying a dvd i can always make an immage on my hard drive.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 21:17 04 Jan 2004

Another thing. As my Burner appears to be multi format which one would you recomend? Is on better for data and another for multimedia?

Cheers S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?