which digital camera to buy?

7 10:15 27 Dec 2003

hi!!i am looking for a digital camera on the net and i found two deals but plz help me which is good to buy. one is SONY CYBERSHOT DSC-P92 (£239)on click here and other one is CANNON POWERSHOT A80 (£242)on click here otherwise if any of the guy has any other idea about the digital camera than donot hesitate to let me know.kindly also let me know the and whether it is advisable to buy from the internet and especiall above two sites. my budget is around £300.

scareybus 10:28 27 Dec 2003

I searched the net before Xmas for a digital camera - Canon Powershot A80. I took the information to my local branch of Jessops in Windsor and they "price matched" the internet deals. So I was a happy bunny!
Yes the Canon is a super camera - go for it!

(P.S. No, I don't work for Jessops or Canon!!)

7 10:36 27 Dec 2003

kindly read cannon camera as £279. i wrote it wrongly.

Indigo 1 11:22 27 Dec 2003

Canon Powershot cameras are an excellent buy ! They come with good software package, are easy to learn to use, you will need a rechargeable battery pack though.

They also make waterproof housings for them too ! Great for ski-ing and scuba diving, around £140.

Can't recommend them highly enough!

anchor 14:15 27 Dec 2003

Jessops will price match any UK based web camera supplier, provided it is stock. You have the advantage of being able to handle it, and have a local contact for service.

I saved almost a £100 in the summer, quoting the prices from camera2u.

The Canon A80 seems excellent, and is £269, and in stock here:

click here

A review of it is here:

click here

sdf 14:37 27 Dec 2003

I got me an A80 just before xmas and cannot stop singing its praises! I got it from click here where you also get an additional 128mb compact flash card. I would recomend the canon

anchor 17:46 27 Dec 2003

Unfortunately sdf your supplier is now out of stock. It is also £20 more than cameras2U, who have it in stock.

Yes, you got the 128Mb card included, but these only cost £18 from sevendayshop.

I am pleased that you find the A80 such a good camera. I wish you much pleasure with it.

Halmer 22:22 27 Dec 2003

are advertising a Casio with an excellent spec for £169ish today. Seems a cracking deal but no doubt there is a replacment modle coming soon.

I bought the Kodak DX6440 today for £249. The model that it replaced not long ago can be had for £149. it has 3.1 MP compared with the new one which has 4.0 MP.

There's a bewildering choice tho and different reviewers/mags give different sometimes conflicting views.

Dan 23:29 27 Dec 2003

Get additional memory and a back up battery.

For some reason digital cameras are never sold with a reasonable memory card, often being left with a paltry 32mb unit. Stretch to 128 or so if you can afford it.

The advantage of the back up battery in the case of the canon is that one can be on charge whilst the other is in use.

I've had a different Canon digital for about 10 months and am Very pleased with it. The Sony I did a little search on and came up with some mediocre user reviews. The canon however is pretty highly regarded.

click here

(All reviews aside however you should really try these in your hands before buying as digital compacts are so small they sometimes don't fit comfortably in large hands)

jonnytub 23:34 27 Dec 2003

click here have you looked at the pentax optio 550 a bit dear but very much so camera worth it's weight in gold and value

jonnytub 23:35 27 Dec 2003

doh?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?