Which desktop PC?

gemster 13:43 05 Nov 2007

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first desktop PC and was hoping someone could help me with the finer details. I am basically just going to use the PC for browsing the internet, downloading music from itunes/limewire, saving some photos from my digital camera and generally using office now again for presentations and word documents. I have been looking at the Dell website and am not sure what PC to buy. Im not looking to spend much, but want a system that is not going to be too slow.

I am thinking of purchasing a desktop with vista home premium and installing office 2007 ultimate.

I have looked at the vostro200MT from the dell website with an Intel Pentium Duo 1.6Ghz processor, 2028RAM and 250GB hard drive - can anyone inform me if this if far superior for my needs or not superior enough?

Thank you

stylehurst 14:20 05 Nov 2007

Have a look at the Novatech site; they do a good range of PCs, & the firm is well regarded by forum members.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:22 05 Nov 2007

click here at 3359 with a 19" flat screen and Vista....a no-brainer

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:23 05 Nov 2007

..that'll be £359....

G

martin p 08:10 06 Nov 2007

Try looking at this Mesh one, Elite Junior, £399.
Cutting out the middle man. click here

Totally-braindead 08:30 06 Nov 2007

Virtually any modern PC will do you but if you get something running Vista and it has onboard graphics get at least 2 gig of memory. From what I have seen Vista needs at least 1 gig of memory free and clear and onboard graphics use part of the system memory leaving you less to run Vista, and it slows things down therefore.
On the plus side memory is cheap so even if you get a computer with less memory its cheap and easy to add another slab of memory. Mind you it is simpler just to get one with 2 gig of memory at the time.
The Dells are good value and I have bought one for someone and they are delighted with it, its one of the cheap ones. Be certain that like her you don't want to play games as the cheaper Dells come with onboard graphics and no graphics card slot. So what you have when you get it is what you will always have, it cannot be upgraded. And its useless for games. Perfect for what you've listed but useless for games.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?