Which CPU

hssutton 11:30 10 Jul 2007

I am about to upgrade my pc using the following motherboard
click here, but I'm a little confused as to which processor to use. click here or click here

The pc will be running Vista Ultimate, with it's main use for photography running Photoshop CS3 & Lightroom. I will be using my two 300gb ide drives with two 500gb Sata drives for photo backup.

Many thanks

Harry

keef66 12:07 10 Jul 2007

The X2 is a dual core processor. Looking at the cpu charts on Tom's Hardware, I don't think you'd see a difference for the kind of application you describe, so go for the cheapest.

I see you've chosen an SLI motherboard; do you intend to use 2 graphics cards?

alan2273 12:10 10 Jul 2007

I have to disagree with your comment keef66, The dual core is the way to go, especially as he wants to do photo editing, and Vista is very efficient with dual core processors.

keef66 12:19 10 Jul 2007

I bow to your superior knowledge of both Vista and photo editing; I know little about either and was just going by the Photoshop benchmarks in the THG charts for the two cpu's hssutton linked to.

If the dual core is not much dearer then it may represent the better buy, and it would certainly be better for multitasking.

Also worth bearing in mind that the very recent AMD price cuts should be filtering through shortly, so it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see if the Athlon 64 X2 become even better vfm.

hssutton 14:11 10 Jul 2007

Thanks very much for your replies.

It's very doubtful that I will use SLI. I selected this board for one reason, the ability to still use my ide drives as master and slave, these drives already have my OS and programs loaded and also onboard sata. No doubt there are other boards that will do likewise. So if anyone can advise of a superior board I will get that.

Will be placing my order at the weekend.

Probabilitydrive 14:27 10 Jul 2007

If your have some more time at hand it might pay off waiting a bit. According to click here
AMD and Intel are about to slash some CPU prices.

umbongo(uk) 14:38 10 Jul 2007

like keef says if your mutitasking doing photoshop while browsing n doing a virus scan at the same time then yes go for dual core(also the new amd soi production 65nm will make them come down in price and their new barcelona cores will be out soon)
why not take it further n go for am2 board i priced up somthing along the same lines as you posted but kept within the limits of you 2 components pricing

check out the comparison
click here
click here
click here

all you have to do is sell your old ram/cpu on ebay to get the new ddr2 which is cheaper to boost the system
just an idea to kick around yer head as the 939 platform is on its way out

hssutton 15:38 10 Jul 2007

Probabilitydrive. I am in no rush, so as you point out it may pay to wait a while.

umbongo(uk) Thanks for the links. I will be keeping the old m/board and ram which will be used to upgrade my daughters pc. Ram is very important since the Adobe Lightroom update (i'm struggling with 2gb) so will certainly be using 4gb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?