Which Computer Maintenance Home Study Course?

cyberphobic 22:56 30 Dec 2005

The PC Advisor Forum has helped me over the years to progress from someone who was unable to carry out even the simplest maintenance tasks, to someone who is now able to build and (sometimes) fix PCs for friends and relatives. Many of my "repairs" involve me repeatedly going round and round in circles until I eventually hit upon the solution and I think that what I need now, is to undertake some sort of IT home study course which will teach me both theory and practical repair techniques. I see this only as a hobby which may earn me a little money now but may develop over the years. I don't retire for another 11 years so I am not seeking an alternative career - yet! Before everyone advises me to check my local colleges for courses, I have and there is nothing suitable! After some intensive Googling I have come across click here their A+ course seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I have been offered the course for £399 (payments split over 5 months with no interest charges). Does anyone have personal experience of this course, or could I please have your recommendations for any alternative courses?

Skyver 23:00 30 Dec 2005

Personally, I bought this click here
Read it from cover to cover a couple of times then put down the £100 or so for the two exams - if you understand the fundamentals, the A+ isn't rocket science. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Skyver 23:02 30 Dec 2005

click here also do a number of courses.

cyberphobic 23:08 30 Dec 2005

Thanks - that's very interesting as the course I'm thinking of doing is based on the Mike Meyers A+ All-In-One Certification Exam Guide. £28 seems a big improvement on £399!!

Skyver 23:13 30 Dec 2005

Well getting the book will be beneficial no matter what you do, you can scan the chapters and see what you need to brush up on, even if you do decide to take a course it will give you an overview of your strengths and weaknesses. It's very well written, technical of course but not dry; Mr Meyers conveys his enthusiasm for the subject.

pharte 23:15 30 Dec 2005

have you looked at the learn direct courses. you can get training modules and even a qualification at the end of it.

click here

cyberphobic 23:24 30 Dec 2005

Thanks for your response - do you have a link to these courses?

cyberphobic 23:32 30 Dec 2005

Sorry - red wine makes me blind! missed your link

BigAl127 01:11 31 Dec 2005

Have a look at this home study cd

click here

cyberphobic 09:31 31 Dec 2005

Thanks for that, looks like very good value, with excellent feedback.

Ray5776 18:30 31 Dec 2005

Hi cyberphobic,
I find your posting very interesting as I am in exactly the same situation, even the eleven years to go. I have ordered the CD from the BigAls link. I may also buy the Michael Meyers book at £28.
Feel free to Email me, this could be something we can work through together.
Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone