Which choice for upgrade?

  Spock1958 20:24 16 Jan 2007

I cannot decide which option to go for. I currently use a Mesh PC with Athlon 64 3200 processor with 1024MB of PC3200 DDR RAM. The main usage of the PC is for image processing using Photoshop elements 5, but find the speed rather sluggish. I feel I have 2 options.

1) Buy a new PC from PC Specialist which would be a Intel core duo E6400 (2.13GHz) with 2 GB DDR2 RAM and 2 320MB Drives at a cost of around £1050. I would wait until Vista is shipped at source. My old PC would be used for one of the children to replace an ageing Pentium 1333MHz machine.

2) Buy 3GB of RAM from Crucial for approx £200 and a new 320GHz Drive at a cost of around £65. The current RAM in my PC would be used to upgrade another PC in the house with only 512MB at present.

Which would offer me the best option taking all factors into account?

  Terry Brown 21:10 16 Jan 2007

It might be worth looking at your graphics card and updating that.
If it is less than 128mb , then it that is where the bottleneck is, it could also be that your graphic drivers are out of date and need upgrading. To find out what card you have download BELARC (free diagnostic program) to get the details

  Spock1958 22:57 16 Jan 2007

Graphics is 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro with latest drivers

  Terry Brown 20:28 18 Jan 2007

The specifications seem OK, how many programs do you have running in the background ?. To find out download STARTER.exe from Codestuff (free), this will give a full list of programs that are running, you may find that you have programs running that you did not know about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?