Which CD is best to use to make a repair?

Cymro. 17:11 31 Mar 2008

My computer is a Medion lap-top and came preloaded with WindowsXP sp2. It was supplied with two CDs. A Windows Application & Support Disk plus a Medion Operating System Installation Disk.

Now as I am having a problem that I may wish to fix by making a repair installation or even some time in the future a complete Windows reinstallation which of the two disks would be the best to use?

I understand that many computer manufacturers provide two disks, a Windows one and their own installation disk. But which is best to use?

My original problem can be found further down this section and is called "Tinkering but now lost system restore"

DieSse 17:30 31 Mar 2008

Medion Operating System Installation Disk is the one to use for n XP repair.

You will need to use the other one after that if you want to make a total clean new installation.

But when you get a working system, you should make your own "repair" facility, by doing a system image from time to time, using something like Acronis True Image.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 31 Mar 2008

Application and support disk

1. rebuild start files
2. rebuild system and driver files
3. return to shipping status

1 wont boot to windows
2. does similar to an sfc /scannow using the other disk but also replaces your drivers to original (lose all driver updates)
3. Sets back to day you got it (last resort as you will lose all data on drives)

Operating Installation CD
Is effectively and OEM XP CD

You can reload the Applications that came with the machine from the Backup partition on the harddrive.

Cymro. 17:47 31 Mar 2008

I have just used the F8 key to enter save mode and then used System Restore so I now hope that my problem is solved at least till next time.

The info that you have provided will be very useful for future reference, so many thanks. I should change my forum name to The Tinkerer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?