Which case fan do I need?

  Bobtheblob 14:46 15 Aug 2007

I'm just about to install my old X-Fi card into my newish PC and noticed that the graphics card, sound card and wireless card will all very close together and using up all my available slots. So I'm thinking I should get a case fan to blow some of the hot air out.

My case has a space for what seems to be an 80mm square fan. Would it plug into the motherboard or straight to one of the PSU's molex connectors?

I'll get one from Maplin but there's so many to choose from on the website. Would I need a "12v mains fan" or "case cooling"? Can anyone advise what would be best?

Many thanks

  Giggle n' Bits 14:54 15 Aug 2007

usually has like a circle molding recess or pattern which will house a 8cm Cooling fan they come with usually 3 pin connectors which can be plugged into the motherboard Sys Fan Header or a 4 pin molex but the 3 pin is preferable.

Maplins look at click here

The Case Cooling Fans 80x25x80 if this is what you need

  Stuartli 14:59 15 Aug 2007

I use a case fan at the front of the case to pull in more cool air over the motherboard and components.

  Stuartli 15:01 15 Aug 2007

The graphics card, if it has a fan, should have the fan situated so its air flow is not obstructed by other components.

If it doesn't, then it would be best situated closest to the PSU or wherever the hot air is expelled.

  Chris1986 15:59 15 Aug 2007

The Sharkoon 1000's where recommended by Custom PC as the best fans to get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?