Which cables should I choose?

cherm 17:47 13 Oct 2006

Hi,
I'm moving into a new apartment and am in the process of planning my phone/pc/cable/electricity wiring.
The apartment is a three bedroom apartment and I would like to set a pc outlet in each of the three rooms. In addition, I plan to install a 40' plasma tv in the dining room and would like to be able to use this tv for pc operated activity.
Please help me with the following questions:
1. Which cables should I use for my pc network? The cables should allow DSL communication and possibly, a home network/

2. Should I wire a connection between the location of my pc and the TV, and if so, using which cable? Would a practice of moving my laptop temporarily to the dining room and operating the tv from this pc be a viable option? If so, what do I need for it?

Ran

Danoh 00:30 14 Oct 2006

1) Cat6 ethernet cable to be sure your network will cope with Gbps (1,000 mbps) throughput in the future, especially considering full HighDef signals.
Very, very small price increase, especially via online sources.

2) If your TV has HDMI-DVI connectivity it can be driven directly from a computer's video-card digital output, e.g. your laptop plugged into a PC Ethernet network socket in the dining room.
Or from an XBox 360 connected to your PC network and driven from a computer running Windows Media Centre 2005 (has an XP Pro kernel).

Danoh 00:40 14 Oct 2006

Check these links out;
click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?