Which browser?

coolteentom 20:16 27 Sep 2004

I was just wondering what people's favourite browsers are these days.

I have always used IE, because it came with the machine, but I want to see what other browers can do...

cheers,

tom

canard 20:26 27 Sep 2004

Mozilla Firefox is very easy to use and supposed to be far safer than IE.It is a son of Netscape but has lots of nifty little extensions which can be added to suit personal tastes. Actually I prefer IE with the security maxed up in spite of all the clicking on the no button. Opera free is OK but not as good as IE- as it's IE based it seems a bit pointless -but maybe the paid for version has extra attractions. There are other Mozilla [Netscape descended] browsers which probably need more advanced users. All have the advantage of patches supplied very soon after vulnerabilities are discovered- unlike IE.There are many other browsers which I know nothing of.

Valvegrid 20:41 27 Sep 2004

Opera.

Nothing like IE, it's got tabbed browsing, 72 skins to choose from, its own spell-checker, small download about 5MB, Toolbars totally customisable, pop-up stopper and very fast and that's just the start.

I also use Firefox and Mozilla, but much prefer Opera, it does render sites better. I can't use IE because I use Linux, but I don't think that's a great miss.

Pesala 22:29 27 Sep 2004

click here to see why.

GaT7 23:47 27 Sep 2004

My personal favourites are Avant Browser click here & Mozilla Firefox click here. Whatever you decide on eventually do NOT remove/uninstall IE even if you stop using it. G

gudgulf 00:17 28 Sep 2004

Give Firefox a try--it's free for one thing so you have nothing to lose.I did only a couple of days ago and I have found it easy to use and faster to load pages than ie.So far I have not felt any need to go back to ie and have set Firefox as my default browser.However as Crossbow7 says you need ie on your system too--some sites need it.

The Spires 00:25 28 Sep 2004

I have used Opera for some time & I think it's great:-)

VoG II 00:29 28 Sep 2004

Firefox. I used to be a great fan of Opera but Firefox is better in my opinion.

Try them all and don't agree to letting any of them be the default browser. Then you can decide what's best for you.

SEASHANTY 15:44 28 Sep 2004

Just downloaded and installed the latest Firefox, Thunderbird email client and Mozilla 1.7.3 on my
number three PC. Don't forget that on install
Firefox will give you the option to import your
I.E. favourites etc. Easier if you do it on install
rather than later.

Tick Tock 16:44 28 Sep 2004

Firefox and opera both great.

stylehurst 17:17 28 Sep 2004

Opera
I have used since it first appeared, can't be beaten

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017