Which is better in a laptop AMD or Intel Pentium?

QinesiQ 14:27 20 Dec 2006

Hi folks

Which is better in a laptop AMD or Intel Pentium?

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I have searched the Forums and not found anything that immediately jumped out as specific to laptops.

I am upgrading my mothers lappy and have my eye on HP/Compaq, Tosh, or possibly Rock (as I spied some good specks/deals in a recent mag - she is certainly not a gamer – well apart from solitaire!)

I quite like the HP DV6100’s – they seem to tick the specs boxes but I just wonder if there is a significant advantage (or disadvantage) wrt the processor especially and wrt Vista/office 2007.

I have read some comments/reviews and opinions but can’t seem to find anything particularly concrete – is it just a case of the “Coke vs Pepsi challenge”?

Thanks in advance

Q
Ps Merry Christmas and a happy bargin hunting New Year to all!

Diodorus Siculus 14:47 20 Dec 2006

No real difference for daily use - just try to get a "full" processor rather than a cut down version (celeron / semperon) and plenty of RAM (at least 512mb; preferably 1GB).

After that, enjoy the fun!

QinesiQ 15:26 20 Dec 2006

I was looking at the dual processors and around 1GB as you say - either included or I'll upgrade it!

Many thanks for your responce.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?