Which is the best web design software for an total beginner?!

krl103 14:48 23 Jul 2014

Help!

My Dad has asked me to build him a website for his company...... apparently this is something I should know how to do, but I do not! He is offering to buy some software so I can do it....... folks - what is the best software for someone who is a completely beginner.

I had a play around with moonfruits and that was ok-ish, but with a bought software I assume I will be able to do something better?!

Any advice is sooo appreciated, Kate :)

Ian in Northampton 15:27 23 Jul 2014

I can't help you build it from scratch - way beyond my understanding - but we recently wanted to create a web site (for our holiday rental place in Italy) and used GoDaddy both for the site design and hosting. We also bought their SEO service. I think it cost us £69 for a year. GoDaddy's underlying 'stuff' is WordPress. I really liked what GoDaddy provided me. They provide you with a gazillion templates according to the type of web site you want - but if you're at all PC savvy, you'll quickly find that the templates are just a starting point and that you have a huge amount of flexibility to do as you wish. Now, if your dad wants e-commerce capability, it may get a bit trickier...

Usual disclaimer re affiliation - just a satisfied customer.

Ian in Northampton 15:58 23 Jul 2014

I should have said, btw - there are plenty of alternatives similar to GoDaddy's "web sites for beginners" approach - you may want to do some research. Of course, if you actually want to learn the skills involved in creating a web site from the ground up, this kind of thing is no good - but if you're looking for something 'quick and dirty'...

It's also worth saying that all too many businesses, especially small ones, skimp on web site design. If its web presence is vital to the success of a company, there's no substitute for paying a professional to do it (no offence to you, of course). But, if your dad just wants a web site that reflects his business, but that doesn't necessarily drive it, then something like GoDaddy - or having his daughter create it - should be fine.

Woolwell 15:58 23 Jul 2014

I use Serif's WebPlus. But I'm not sure that I would want to build a webaite for a company using it. I end up with a good site which after a week or so is at the top of the Google rankings but obviously isn't a professional website. My son who works for a company producing digital advertising says that the end product is fine and it meets all of the web compliance requirements. I avoid the provided templates.

To start with though has he got a company domain name? You may well find that whoever you register it with and hosts the website has tools for website construction.

Jollyjohn 16:52 23 Jul 2014

Agree with Woolwell, look at hosting options and see what they offer.

Also, work backwards, as in what do you want the website to do? Is it simple advertising and basic contact or is going to handle sales? This will help in deciding what you need.

A simple advertising / contact site could be written in HTML very quickly.

spuds 17:41 23 Jul 2014

I use 1 and 1 who offer complete packages, but like already mentioned, there are a number of other companies out there to choose from, if you want to go the package way.

If you want to have a look at a possibility for a trial run, then check out Serif and possibly their free downloads click here

krl103 08:35 24 Jul 2014

Wow folks! Thanks so much for your advice :)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply Kate

marylyon35 09:04 24 Jul 2014

Hi. The list of softwares which I think is the best for beginners are as follows:-

1. Coda2

2. Pixelmator

3. Photoshop

4. Espresso

Also try to learn HTML & CSS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache