Which Backup to use?

Miros 10:45 05 Nov 2006

Having over the years ploughed my way through various anti Virus, anti malware anti spyware programmes I'm as clued up as I'll ever be, I think! Now comes backup programmes, what a minefield! Acronis often gets the thumbs up on this forum. My brother who is far more knowledgeable and proficient than I am I might add, recommends Paragon. Neither of these is mentioned in the following review.
click here
All of them require a purchase and I'm reluctant to spend money on something that I later find unsatisfactory.

I did manage to download a free version of Acronis True Image a few weeks ago but either it or are not working correctly! so therefore useless. I have a copy of Paragon from my brother which I find dificult to follow, so iffy?

One of the criteria of the above review is that the programs ease of use plus it's efficiency etc. It could be the reason for the omission of the two backup programs I have mentioned or the fact the reviewers are on some kind of rake off.

Anyone got any further advice please?

Technotiger 10:54 05 Nov 2006

Hi, I would recommend Acronis, have just used it to do a full backup of my hard-drive. Have backed up to an external usb drive.

Cheers

Technotiger 10:56 05 Nov 2006
  Miros 11:10 05 Nov 2006

Thanks but it doesn't even make the short list of top eighteen in above list, why?

Miros 11:12 05 Nov 2006

This is the criteria they use which seems OK to me
click here

anskyber 11:14 05 Nov 2006

Well you can look at this, I think they know a thing or two click here Who knows why its not on the other list, it quite amazes me.

Miros 11:20 05 Nov 2006

maybe this is why.
click here

Miros 11:23 05 Nov 2006

That was supposed to be a link to the the reviews on the link you published, now they require registration?

Technotiger 11:24 05 Nov 2006

I can only speak from my own experience - much to my shame I have never previously done any Backup - though I have always promised myself that I would. Well very recently I did as stated, using the downloaded Acronis, it was very easy and only took just under 50 mins (80Gb hd with approx 31Gb used)

(I am an oldie, 70's, self-taught IT expert - ha, ha, ha, and ha again - just saying, if I can do it, anyone should be able to!)

Cheers

anskyber 11:31 05 Nov 2006

OK slightly reluctant to mention a rival mag here! However the link was to PC Pro Mag which has a good reputation and pitching I think at a slightly different market to PCA. ( not a critical comment for either mag)

PC Pro have their A List of what they regard as the current best of the bunch in various catagories. Acronis True Image is in their current A List.

Miros 11:38 05 Nov 2006

"I am an oldie, 70's, self-taught IT expert - ha, ha, ha, and ha again - just saying, if I can do it, anyone should be able to!)"
But I'm older, he,he,

I'm like you after having a traumatic time loosing everything, almost! I am trying to sort out an easy backup system, short, sweet and simple for this old lump of grey matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?