Which backup programme for applications transfer?

The Mountaineer 09:53 11 Jan 2008

I would really appreciate some advice re backup programmes to specifically backup applications/programmes only to an external WD hard drive. I currently use Norton Save & Restore for backups to my laptop, but this is for a restore to my original laptop. My problem is to backup applications so that when I buy a new laptop I can save a lot of time by not having to reinstall all the programmes again.
I have previously also used Retrospect Express (but it won't do this job) and recently tried Genie Backup Manager Pro 5, but it only has a small number of programmes it supports.
Sorry the question's a bit long!

Technotiger 10:39 11 Jan 2008

Try Acronis True Image, in your scenario you would create a Clone of your drive, which could then be Restored to your new laptop. A Clone, means just that, a duplicate of your hard drive.

At least that is how I believe it works - have never done it myself, so if I am wrong I am quite sure someone will come and say so!

brundle 10:50 11 Jan 2008

A clone of an old system would have all the wrong drivers for a new laptop, unless by some miracle it had entirely compatible hardware.

anskyber 10:51 11 Jan 2008

Acronis Clone is slightly different ( or that is my understanding), it is designed to get everything back onto the same computer click here so it will include all the settings and drivers for your particular set of hardware. A new computer is unlikely to have the identical hardware and therein lies the problem.

Technotiger 11:01 11 Jan 2008

Cheers - I did wonder, but I knew if I was not giving accurate info someone would put me right!

Many thanks, I now know for future reference.

Technotiger 11:06 11 Jan 2008

However, I do believe Acronis Backup will allow the Backup of any or all Applications, which could then be restored to a different computer - or am I wrong in that too?

brundle 11:14 11 Jan 2008

I don't know the answer to that, personally if I had a new system I'd take the time to install the apps in the conventional manner and /then/ do a full backup, rather than leaving it to a third-party program.

rawprawn 11:16 11 Jan 2008

AS far as I am aware you are correct, and I can see no reason why not as long as the OS is the same.

Diemmess 11:37 11 Jan 2008

I don't believe it is possible to separate the applications from the OS and mobo on which they were first installed, and run them on a new system.

Installation involves integrating each application with the registry, stating or changing specific registry addresses so that when an application is opened all the bits know where to find indexes and instructions.

Certainly, using Acronis it is possible to restore individual files and folders but in the way of things these items will be data of some sort. Picking up the exe file of an application won't do anything nice for you if you try to run it!

The Mountaineer 12:05 11 Jan 2008

Thank you all for your comments so far, much appreciated.Maybe I just have to accept that the cleanest way is to take my time and install all the apps from scratch. As Diemmess says there is bound to be integration between each app and the os ...... I could just end up with a big mess!

DieSse 12:07 11 Jan 2008

Diemmess is quite right. Applications (for the most partç9 are tightly integrated into the OS - with entries in many and varied folders, in addition to the registry, start-up routines and so on.

This is why it's for all practical purposes impossible to separate out applications.

There is, in XP, a transfer wizard which works pretty well for "files and settings".

click here

click here

click here

For applications, you need the original CDs and/or downloads - then you re-install them on the new system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?