which arial??

lewis88 16:25 11 Mar 2006

i have a hauppauge hvr1100 digital and analogue tv tuner, i am running windows media centre 05 and was wondering does anyone have any reccomendations for an arial. i cannot receive freeview but i would like to have an arial able to receive it for the future (and the hope that a may get a couple freeview channels). i live in the welsh vallies so my signal is crap, so im looking for an arial able to my my signal better. i have tried two cheap boosters and arials (indoor) from argos but i cant receive anything on them. indoor and outdoor arials considered.

Fingees 18:45 11 Mar 2006

If you are not in an area listed to receive freeview, there is no aerial that you can guarantee will do the job.However, if it can be received, The higher the gain of the outdoor aerial the better.
For instance,if you live near the transmitter, an ordinary set top aerial will do, but if like me, you are in fringe area, only a well amplified high gain outdoor aerial will suffice. In fact my area is not officially covered, so I am lucky to be able to receive it at all.

If your area ever has a transmitter installed, it will run on the same frequency band as all the analogue programs in your area.

Stuartli 19:00 11 Mar 2006

You will need what is termed a wideband aerial to receive digital terrestial channels (sometimes referred to as a "digital" aerial).

The most straightforward approach is to seek the advice of a first class aerial erection firm, who will most likely have experience of doing work in your area.

961 19:18 11 Mar 2006

If you do not have digital terrestrial television in your area yet it is advisable to wait until it becomes clear what aerial you need once digital tv arrives. Wideband aerials are only advised where the transmissions are spread widely through the transmission spectrum. If digital tv has yet to arrive at your transmitter this is unlikely

You'll get a wealth of information at click here and the rest of that site. Also at the BBC site at click here

click here gives great info about how different aerials are required in different places

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?