which are the essential drivers?

pollpott 18:15 07 Dec 2009

I want to reinstal windows XP in a desktop. I have nothing personal left on it and I have the original CDs which contain some drivers. I realise that there will be all sorts of updates to install etc but I am prepared to spend some time doing this. So long as the keyboard, mouse and internet connection are functionig then I figure I can get on with doing whatever else is needed... hence the title of this post
Will the "operating system" CD restore the use of these things if not will I be prompted for other CDs to load drivers etc.
I know it sounds like I shouldn't be trying to do such a thing if I'm having to ask for all this help but it is an oldish machine and not actually needed by anyone in the house so I figure, nothing to lose and it might be quite interesting. Oh I'm doing this because it runs desperately slow as it is and I've done the Spybot,AVG,Adaware and crap cleaner things.

birdface 18:22 07 Dec 2009

Microsoft will probably load most of the drivers when you reinstall XP.

birdface 18:25 07 Dec 2009

Oops sorry I thought that you were doing a reformat using the original XP Disc.

GaT7 18:26 07 Dec 2009

If the OS disk is a 'restore' CD, then yes it will load all the necessary drivers, etc.

If it's not the above, for a start, what's your motherboard make & model? Downloading its drivers (including chipset, LAN, Audio, etc) before attempting an OS reinstall is a wise thing to do. Let us know what these (make+model) are & we'll help you find the correct drivers if necessary.

Another thing to have at hand is the XP product key. It should be on a printed sticker on the case. If not, download & run Belarc Advisor click here to find this out. Make a careful written note of the product key. You can also save the generated Belarc report to another disk (hard disk, CD, USB) as a backup to refer to later if/when required. G

woodchip 18:28 07 Dec 2009

as above the setup will sort most drivers out as windows as a library of them. after you could check for latest graphics driver for you graphics card. Multimedia buttons on mouse or Keyboard will only work by loading correct drivers for them But will work in basic mode after setup. try and see how it goes

Quiller. 18:29 07 Dec 2009

Chipset, VGA and lan drivers.

lan is the most important as you can then access the internet, to download drivers not on the disk and ask for help if it runs into problems.

pollpott 18:31 07 Dec 2009

I am using the original XP disc and I have the product key for it. The sticker on the CD case says that it contains "a complete version of your operating system software" is that any help?

birdface 18:37 07 Dec 2009

Not sure if it helps.Recently put Windows7 in to a new tower and Microsoft downloaded all of the drivers for it.
Not unless the drivers were pre-installed on the Tower.
One think it will probably download is Windows Messenger 4.5 or 5.4 or whatever.
Not sure if there is a way of avoiding that download or not.

GaT7 18:40 07 Dec 2009

As long as you have the product key printed somewhere, you'll be good to go.

As Dick says, once you have the LAN sorted, you can connect to the Internet (assuming you connect via the network port as against USB) & download all other necessary drivers & software. I like to be prepared beforehand - hence my suggestion to download the necessary drivers prior to attempting the reinstall.

Win7 is usually a different kettle of fish as it has several more drivers, etc already present in the installation CABs. G

pollpott 18:58 07 Dec 2009

This is where my knowledge is a bit thin, which drivers are essential and if I download them to my external HD how do I then transfer them to the desktop?

pollpott 19:00 07 Dec 2009

Also I will be using a USB dongle(?) to connect to the internet for which I have a CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires