WHICH ARE BEST- MEMORY STICKS OR DISC’S ?

gel 14:45 07 Oct 2006

Hello
Would some one kindly comment- which are preferable Memory Sticks or Disc’s for storage
I use my computer only for Documents and digital photos.
USB sticks seem very easy to use and I can easily plug them into either my desktop or my laptop.
Are there any disadvantages?
Many thanks
Gel

Diodorus Siculus 14:48 07 Oct 2006

Depends on if you want long term storage - memory sticks get a little expensive. Blank CDs are about 10p each...

def90csw 14:50 07 Oct 2006

Bought recently a 512MB Kingston Data Traveler @ £11.74 for from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 07 Oct 2006

How much storage do you need?

If alot, then an external drive may be worth while.

gel 14:57 07 Oct 2006

Hello
Thanks -a further query which alternative will give me problems (if any) with ,long term storage'
I do not need a great deal of storage but I do sometimes have problems with disc's but never with memory sticks
gel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 07 Oct 2006

Any media can be prone to loss of data or just plain become old technology (what has happened to tape drives Zip disks and floppy disks).

Always a good idea to back up to at least two kinds of media if keeping data for some time.

You can even use "online storage" there is even a method of using gmail to store data.

dogbreath1 15:07 07 Oct 2006

I wouldn't rely wholly on memory sticks. If the stick fails (and I've had two go pear shaped on me), all is lost. CD/DVD/BlueRay is undoubtedly the safest option. The disc problems you referred to will never be insurmountable.

gel 15:11 07 Oct 2006

All your comments are very useful to me and I am grateful.
Many thanks
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?