Which application is best for playing with photos?

Carafaraday 12:32 31 Aug 2004

My new pc has come with HP Image Zone Plus, and my scanner has Canon Arcsoft Photo Studio 5. Does anyone know anything about these two apps - which would be better to use for playing about with photos?

moore_mat 13:22 31 Aug 2004

Hi Carafaraday,

The apps bundled with scanners are usually cut down at best. but normally just plain useless. If all you want is the most basic of fetures, then they will do fine (although I must confess to not having used the products you mentioned)

As to what to replace it with. Most pros will point you to something like Adobe PhotoShop, but this is pricey and can be a bit daunting for the beginner.. I use Jasc's Paint Shop Pro - that seems to be easy to get to use, but has the features when you're a bit more advanced.

All the best

M@

Stuartli 13:33 31 Aug 2004

PCA issue 109's cover disk included PhotoImpact6 and PhotoEditor if you want to experiment for a while before going on to something even better.

Graham ® 13:36 31 Aug 2004

Look in your Programs for PictureIt Publishing. Very easy to work with.

Graham ® 13:41 31 Aug 2004
  jack 14:42 31 Aug 2004

for Choice Paint Shop Pro - good full featured
Photo Suite - Basic but easy
Photo Impact OK
PhotoShop Elements OK

Carafaraday 16:07 31 Aug 2004

Thanks to all who responded - to be honest I can't think I'll want to do very much other than crop and get rid of red-eye and major scratches so anything that is simple to use would suit me. Photoshop looks horrendously complicated with 'layers' which I don't even begin to understand. Anyone know a good website where I can learn the basics of photo-editing?

Carafaraday 16:11 31 Aug 2004

Graham - thanks for the pic - I am such a novice, I can't begin to work out how you do that.

woodchip 16:20 31 Aug 2004

click here I use Picture Publisher 8 but got others including PSP Anniversary edition. Arcsoft Photo Studio 5 is OK and good enough for you to make a start

pjwheeldon 16:23 31 Aug 2004

Not needing lots of complicated features I have always found Photosuite the easiest to use, and its manipulation tools seem to give the most natural effects. Still using version V, but think it is up to version VII now.

Bingalau 16:56 31 Aug 2004

Hi Carafaraday! "Photoshop" isn't all that hard to use really either. But I say that because I went to classes at night school to learn the basics. Then I got a C.D. Rom training pack from Q.V.C. A sort of train yourself course. This you can use anytime at your leisure. Web Address of the suppliers is click here Don't think I have seen it on Q.V.C. since I got mine from them. I know it has allowed me to mess with photo's to my heart's content. Must admit though "Photoshop" is expensive to buy...
Good luck...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?