which adsl modem cable

kiz 14:21 03 Jan 2007

I am installing adsl broadband for the first time and my telephone socket is almost 20 metres away from my computer. I therefore need a longer RJ11 cable than that supplied but I am confused as to the type of cable I need. On the internet I can see 2 core & 4 core & twisted cable but which one should I buy and will it make a difference to the internet speed?
The modem is a thomson speedtouch 330 by the way.
thanks in advance

fitshase 22:29 04 Jan 2007

I have an ADSL connection which is in the next room. I just bought a standard telephone extension cable, plugged that into the phone socket on the wall. Then, I plugged the ADSL filter into the other end of the extension cable and plugged the ADSL cable into that.

Works fine for me with no problems at all.

oldbeefer2 10:56 05 Jan 2007

Bea careful with long telephone extension leads with ADSL - they caun cause slow speeds and disconnections. Better to plug modem directly into BT master socket and run an RJ 45 cable from the modem to the computer's ethernet socket. I made up a 30metre extension with cable, plugs and a crimping tool which cost a tenner total on line. You can also buy ready made leads, but they can be more expensive,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017