Where's Normal.dot in Windows XP?

Oddjob 11:32 02 May 2003

I've done all sorts of searches, I've trawled through Windows Explorer, changed all the viewing settings, but I still can't find normal.dot in Windows XP. I know it's there, because I was asked if I wanted to save the changes to it. I'm using Office 2000 Pro on Windows XP Pro. Can anyone help track it down?

Rob.

VoG™ 11:36 02 May 2003

I can't remember and I'm not on an XP machine at the moment.

In Search, make sure you include hidden and system files.

-pops- 12:07 02 May 2003

Normal dot is a function of M$ Word, not Windows

Peter E 12:18 02 May 2003

I'm not on my home machine at the moment (Win XP, Office 2000), I'm at work. But if I remember correctly, it's in C:\Program files\microsoft office\templates.

In anycase, as VoG™ says, Win XP's search facility should find it.

Regards

Big Elf 12:18 02 May 2003

It's in c:\documents and settings\youruserloginname\application data\microsoft\templates

When you search for it select 'More Advanced Options' and tick 'Search System Folders', 'Search Hidden Files' and Folders and 'Search Subfolders'.

Oddjob 12:23 02 May 2003

Thanks VoG! I automatically assumed the search looked at every file as in Win 98 & ME by default.

For anyone else who's interested, normal.dot is in c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Useful to know if you need to delete the file if it gets corrupted.

VoG™ 13:51 02 May 2003

I realise you're sorted but it took a heck of a time to find this so I'm determined to post this! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?