Where's my Start button icon gone?

Chelonian 15:20 09 May 2005

I have a 1997 spec PC running Windows 98. It has a Tiscali dial-up internet connection and a Netscape browser. I tried to create a new Hotmail account from their website and all went well until a dialog box informed me that I would have to download MS software to access Hotmail. I tried to do this but the PC just froze. On re-starting the PC it appeared to have booted but all the icons and the Start button have disappeared from my screen.

My questions are:

1. How do I get my Start button and shortcut icons back?

2. Is this a common Netscape browser problem and would I be better off with something else?

I have access to a MS Windows ME disk. I don't know if it would help if I 'upgraded' to it from the existing Windows 98.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated as I'm very much a novice. I know that my PC is old but it works okay most of the time! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mattyc_92 15:24 09 May 2005

I don't think that you need to download anything to use Hotmail (yes you have to if you want to add an "attachment", but not view/create a hotmail account)

have a look at this click here

Read the posts made by me and gudgulf at "Mon, 09.05.05 | 12:02" and "Mon, 09.05.05 | 12:06" for info on how to restore your system back to it's previous state...

Diemmess 16:07 09 May 2005

Try a right click anywhere on a blank part of the taskbar...... choose Properties and a click on that should show Taskbar and Menu properties.

Tick the box which says "Always on Top"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 09 May 2005

Where did my icons go
click here

Taskbar missing
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?