Where's my files???

dumber 06:44 08 Jan 2006

I went to open an excel document today to find it had dissapeared!! In fact 90% of my files and folders have gone.

I eventually thought I'd found them in "My recent documents" - all of the missing stuff was listed but only as shortcuts, when clicking on them a message is displayed, This file has been changed or moved.

What's happened? I run xp pro and have never had issues like this before. Could it be a virus? I have avg, also spyware spybot and adaware and these haven't picked up anything.

The missing stuff appears to be random, I can't see any particular reason why the remaining 10% are still active, I just can't find these files anywhere.

I downloaded open office and wrote it to c.d for my laptop a couple of weeks ago but I don't recall doing anything else different recently.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

mgmcc 09:22 08 Jan 2006

have you run System Restore in case Windows has just got confused with referencing the "missing" files?

Sharpamatt 09:34 08 Jan 2006

in case they have been moved try system search as you said you have the shortcuts so can enter the full name

rawprawn 09:40 08 Jan 2006

click here in case you need to look at what is deleted on your HD. I suppose it's too obvious to suggest Recycle bin?

dumber 14:10 08 Jan 2006

Thanks, I've tried all 3 of your suggestions with no success. I'm pretty sure they are no longer to be found on my pc which is baffling.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Sharpamatt 07:04 09 Jan 2006

If there is no trace anywhere, and you have not deleated them, they may well be a virus on your system.

This may be removed each time its scanned, however many virus,s lurk in system restore, and then re emerge after the scans have removed them.

There are many programs listed on the site which may be able to recover missing files,as there are many which can do on line scans

One more to look at is your folder options, enable show hidden files and folders, It may be that these have been saved as hidden folders then as named the setting have changed and are now hidden

Its noticed you have AVG but have you disabled the XP Virus check

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017