Where's my in box?

Foxy Loxy 07:16 18 Jun 2006

Last night I was going through my boxes in Outlook Express and my entire in box seems to have disappeared. I am not aware of anything unusual I did to cause it but, of course, I may have done something accidentally. INBOX has now appeared again but only with new e-mails coming in since the time when all the earlier ones vanished. I've checked everything I can think of - they don't seem to have been accidentally deleted for example. One thing I notice is that the INBOX icon in the left hand margin is missing. Can anyone please explain this mystery and show me how to retrieve these e-mails?

Andsome 08:44 18 Jun 2006

You don't say what O/S you use. Can you use System Restore?

Noldi 09:01 18 Jun 2006

Is your inbox folder in View - Folder List?
If is you can drag the Icon back into Shortcuts.

Noldi

Foxy Loxy 09:28 18 Jun 2006

It is Windows ME, Andsome. If system restore is possible, can you explain how I could use it please?

No, Noldi, or not that I can see. I did try that first. The "new" inbox is in the list that has been receiving e-mails since the old one seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for trying to retrieve this for me.

VoG II 09:32 18 Jun 2006

Do a search for *.dbx

Foxy Loxy 11:44 18 Jun 2006

Done the search VoG, I have two items 1)msoe.dll - When I click on this I get in Folder C:\program files\OutlookExpress 2)oemig50.exe - When I click on this I get the message that the file is "linked to missing export ADVAP132.DLL:Reg0verridePredefKey Can you help me on from here please?

VoG II 11:52 18 Jun 2006

Try this click here

Fellsider 12:19 18 Jun 2006

Have any of your other folders got a + next to them?

I have, on a number of occasions accidentally dragged a folder over another and therefore made it a sub-folder of the other.

If that is the case you can re-drag it to the 'Local Folders' and it will be reinstated.

Foxy Loxy 13:28 18 Jun 2006

No + sign, Fellsider. That was one of first things I tried because I have also accidentally dragged into a sub-folder before. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

VoG: Have done the obvious current view check suggested. I don't think I got a "Welcome to OE" message which suggests it's damaged rather than deleted but I still can't find it to follow the rest of the instructions.
I wonder if I have, somehow, asked it to delete the whole of INBOX rather than, say, just one e-mail? Whatever, I've done, I need to find it first. I'd be grateful if anyone knows.

Andsome 16:30 18 Jun 2006

I have never used ME, but I know that System Restore is possible. Look in Start/programs/Accessories/System tools/System restore. That's where it is in XP.

Foxy Loxy 17:55 18 Jun 2006

Thanks AndSome. I found it just where you said and tried a time yesterday afternoon before it happened. It went through the process but I still only have the inbox with the later e-mails. So I tried again with an earlier time in the morning, made sure it rebooted but still no joy. Does it sound as if I did it OK?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?