Where will my modem driver be on the Hard Drive???

DN14 09:32 29 Jul 2003

Please could someone give me some advice, I am considering updating to Windows XP from 98 and have been rounding up my drivers in preparation for this. The modem that came with the PC does not appear to have a driver on CD-ROM and the software link to the website for it (it is an AMR voice modem) never works so I am unable to download a driver.

Therefore, I am seeking some guidance as to where on my hard drive I might find the said file so that I can copy it for use after I have uploaded the new operating system. Any assistance with regards to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Bodi 09:43 29 Jul 2003

without the modem driver, you probably won't be able to install your modem. Even seeking out every file related to your modem and copying it to a safe place, probably wouldn't work.

I would start looking at new modems if I were you and you could also get one that is compatible with XP.

Bodi

PirÅTë 10:00 29 Jul 2003

dont give up just yet as you will get it to work with xp

goto click here and join it

then do a search for amr drivers for win xp

then download it and save it to a cd

when you do a clean install of xp you will have it handy

hope it works out for you as xp is far better

seedie 10:01 29 Jul 2003

I'll second that. You can get a new modem for under a tenner.

Jester2K II 10:03 29 Jul 2003

Also the Win98 driver almost certainly won't work under XP.

What is the modem make and model - maybe someone here has the driver and / or can point you in the right direction.

XP MIGHT have the drivers in its set up so you MIGHT not need to hunt down the driver for XP as it MIGHT be on the XP disk.

If all else fails Bodis last suggestion is ideal.

DN14 15:15 29 Jul 2003

Thanks for the info I will try and locate a driver if not I didn't realise the cost of a new modem so I might just replace it if I have no luck.

Cheers,

Dn14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?