Where to start on my PC?

Dalglish2 17:48 11 Mar 2008

Hi
I have a desktop PC running XP home which I have stored for 5 years (yes five years) without it being booted up.
I wish to install a new graphics card and TFT monitor and recently powered up the PC.
However, I am at a loss as to how to go about installing the graphics card and monitor if the PC has been stored for so long.
Can anyone suggest a sequence? My old graphics card failed so not sure if I could use my old CRT monitor?Many thanks Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 11 Mar 2008

Old monitor sholud work on any graphics Card.

Fit new card
plug in monitor (any)
boot to windows
run CD that comes with card to install the drivers to suit the windows version you are using.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 11 Mar 2008

If you hover the mouse pointer over the START button it will say "Click here to begin"

:0)

(Sorry couldn't resist it)

Sparkly 06:39 12 Mar 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\
(Sorry couldn't resist it) That brought on a chuckle early in the morning.

[email protected] 08:20 12 Mar 2008

If the graphics card is dead as you imply, you cannot use any monitor unless you have "on-board" mobo graphics (look for the similar colour/shape monitor port close to your mouse/keyboard ports on the back of the PC.
If you don't have on board graphics you have no alternative but to remove the dead graphics card and install a new one. Either of your monitors will work on the new graphics card.
Installing is straight forward:
No power anywhere, open the case. Look for and find two shiny screw heads or bare metal chassis and touch with fingers of both hands - just a precaution agains electro static discharge.
Remove the old card and insert the new one taking care to note connections. Gently ease the old out and gentle but firm pressure to seat the new one.
You may find you require additional power connections for the new card. This will mean rigging your wiring loom with an extension piece which are readily available at most good PC shops if you explain what it's for.
A word of caution about the new card. Be careful about being tempted to buy hi end spec - remember your old PC may not be up to it performance wise ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?