Where is the product key kept?

martjc 12:27 20 Mar 2005

How do i find the product key in Win Me. i have had a problem re-installing after a crash. i have two copies of Me. After the first attempt, the machine could not read part of the disk, so I put the other one in and continued from there. Now the system will not run Automatic updates - or update at all. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that I changed disks in mid stream.

Any suggestions? All help appreciated.

leo49 12:35 20 Mar 2005

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/current version. Look for product key in right hand pane.

martjc 12:37 20 Mar 2005

I think this will help with my problem.

leo49 12:48 20 Mar 2005

I'm more than a little out of touch as to what's happening with Product Lifecycles and the withdrawal of MS product support for OS's prior to 2K & XP, but it could[repeat could] have some bearing on the failure to update. You might be better advised to download all you need from the Windows catalogue.

martjc 13:03 20 Mar 2005

Even after changing the product key things do not update. I get a message saying "...unable to update. Close all programs and try again." I've done this several times now with no success. Will take your further advice. Thanks.

martjc 13:13 20 Mar 2005

... I watched the attempt to download IE6. The numbers did not complete before it tried to install. Obviously the installation fails - at 93% - just my luck! Does anyone have any further advice? Please!!!

Technotiger 13:54 20 Mar 2005

Don't know if this will help - but worth a look I think.

click here

Cheers.

spuds 13:55 20 Mar 2005

Download and run this Everest click here or Belarc click here Either or both products will give you a good selection of information about your computer.

TomJerry 14:00 20 Mar 2005

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41 click here

BT 09:13 21 Mar 2005

Download RockXP from here click here
It will find all MS product keys on your computer.

martjc 12:37 21 Mar 2005

Case closed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?