Where is my router sign in box?

Hetti 15:45 12 Apr 2010

Hi
I have winXP home and have just installed a new hard drive. ThisPC is also the host PC for two other PCs (able to acess internet fine)
The problem i have is the host PC does not have any intenet connection showing in the network connections, how do I find the sign in window to place the network key ect in.

Hetti 16:09 12 Apr 2010

I have just noticed that in the add hardware wizaed RAID controller, Mutimedia Audio controller and Ethernet controller have yellow exclamation mark beside them, when i click next for any one of the three it says "The drivers are not installed for this device (code 28)
How do i get drivers if I cannot acess the internet (dont know if I still have software/driver for them)
Will this be causinng the above problem?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 12 Apr 2010

"How do i get drivers if I cannot acess the internet"

Ypou have access now just copy to a USB pen drive or burn to cd and trnasfer to other machine.

We will need more info about your machine to find the drivers

SIW click here will tell you all equipment fitted.

Sea Urchin 16:25 12 Apr 2010

You will need to download the appropriate Ethernet driver before you can connect to Internet - so you will need to use another computer (maybe a friend or library?) to download the driver and transfer to a USB flash drive. Then you can install it to your PC.

Sea Urchin 16:26 12 Apr 2010

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ - cross posted

Hetti 16:34 12 Apr 2010

Thanks all
I found my Aopen disk for my PC I run it and it found the drivers and im now able to go online, but I was not asked for any key for dlink router as i thought I would. how can i check all is secure ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 12 Apr 2010

if its coupled by cable then its secure.
if coupled by wireless then go to router admin page (address is different depending on router, will be in router manual)eg 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or similar.

Wireles settings page and check security key and setting sis at least WPA

click here how to set security on a netgear router

Hetti 18:35 12 Apr 2010

Fruit Bat/\0/\

Im not sure if it is connected by a cable although there is a cable from the router to the PC is this what you mean?
I tried the wireless setting but was asked for username which I entered and password which is supposed to be left blank, but nothing happend the window just popped up again and again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 12 Apr 2010

there is a cable from the router to the PC is this what you mean?

Yes

username and password for routers are both usually admin but it depends on wether you have changes it and the type of router.

yours is?

Hetti 19:26 12 Apr 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat
My router is D-link ...
I did not try Admin as password just for username, I will try that now although it did sat "blank as default" I dont recall changing it.

Sea Urchin 19:35 12 Apr 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?