Where has my hard drive space gone?

Dannyb 18:23 19 Dec 2007

I have a 160GB Iomega Hard drive and have used it for sveral years without a problem. However, I have recently checked it and find that it shows as now only having 93GB of memory. There is nothing on the drive as I have just wiped it with Eastec Eraser. Can anybody tell me where the rest of the hard drive is and how I can access it again? Thanks. (I have Windows XP on my PC, if that helps at all.)

Technotiger 18:34 19 Dec 2007

Did you re-format the drive as NTFS or FAT32?

hiwatt 18:37 19 Dec 2007

It could be being used by system restore.Try disabling system restore and see if that frees up the space.

Dannyb 18:55 19 Dec 2007

Technotiger - no idea, although I didn't actually re-format, just wiped it securely.

hiwatt, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Dannyb 19:01 19 Dec 2007

Just switched off the system restore on that drive, but it made little difference.

Technotiger 19:17 19 Dec 2007

Can you see the drive in My Computer - if so, right-click on its icon and then click on Properties, you will then be able to see if it is NTFS or FAT32.

Also, if you did not re-format it, how did you 'wipe' it?

Technotiger 19:19 19 Dec 2007

Or, to save time, and following on from my last response - right-click on the drive and choose to Format it in NTFS. You should then get an accurate indication of its size after it has been formatted.

Technotiger 19:20 19 Dec 2007

Hmm, just noticed - Eastec Eraser, never heard of it though.

Technotiger 19:25 19 Dec 2007

OK - I have now read about East Tec Eraser, it is not what I had imagined - I thought that when you said you had wiped your drive you meant that you have removed all data from it, seems I was totally wrong - Ooops!!

So you better not format your drive, otherwise you WILL lose all data on it.

Technotiger 19:27 19 Dec 2007

You should still right-click on the drive in My Computer, then look at Properties to see whether it is NTFS or FAT32, I say this because the different Formats affect the drives capacity.

crosstrainer 19:31 19 Dec 2007

NTFS uses smaller clusters, and is better overall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?