where has my f,g,h,i, etc drives gone????

athenrye 01:00 17 Jul 2007

hi ive got a thingy card reader thing with various drives on my xp machine
i normally just put in a mamory card or usb on the font of my computer and i can access the drives on my computer

i started the computer tonight and they have all gone, ive only got a,d,e,j left and cant access my memory card

any ideas
ive tried to restart but its not worked
cheer
william

lotvic 01:12 17 Jul 2007

Is it a USB card reader that you plug in or is it built into the pc tower (in a bay like you have for the floppy drive)

athenrye 01:18 17 Jul 2007

its built in tp the machine the card reader in a bay
any ideas
will

lotvic 01:33 17 Jul 2007

you may have to reinstall them
right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Disk Drives (Card USB Device, check if any are listed) and if there are any yellow exclamation marks

athenrye 01:41 17 Jul 2007

the usb mass storage device had a yellow exclamation mark
it said....

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

any ideas now
i tried to hit the troubleshoot but nothing happened
william

rabadubdub 02:12 17 Jul 2007

I got this from a site called MarketWizz Internet Solutions click here
I dare say it's in the MS Knowledgebase as well.
Like lotvic said -reload drivers-
"Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard."

Rab

Andy1991 10:23 17 Jul 2007

Go to START > RUN > Type "Regedit"
on the left double click each of these folders in turn, next folder inside the previous.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies

then single click folder: Explorer

Now on the right look for the Value "NoDrives"
if it is there then right click it and select Delete.

Do exactley the same as above, but instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then the rest.

Andy1991 10:32 17 Jul 2007

Try the same with "HKEY_Users" as well.

You can also try assigning the drive letters again.
START > Right click "My Computer" and select "manage" > "Disk management" on the left > right click the each little block near the bottom left (Above one another), then select "Change drive letter and paths", then click change or Add button, then choose the letter, then click OK. Repeat this with the others.

I know one thing for sure, there is no physical problem with these drives.

Andy1991 10:37 17 Jul 2007

Example of my above post:
click here

Andy1991 10:40 17 Jul 2007

or maybe it is a hardware fault, did not read properly, in which case the above posts wont work

Andy1991 10:51 17 Jul 2007

andy1991

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone