where to find help for erratic cd-rw

tommy 321 12:22 26 Jun 2003

could anyone please help me, i am fairly new to computing and my cd-rw/dvd combo went beserk over the weekend, i was doing some work with it, i loaded a blank cd into my pc and halfway through the task a notice came onto the screen saying cannot finish writing, and then the machine sounded as though it was spinning very fast, it was making a racket rather like a fan turning at great speed for about fifteen seconds and then it just stopped, and now it is completely dead, i was hoping someone may be able to give me a clue as to what may be at fault, before that it was working perfectly,thanks, tommy.

hellred 21:33 27 Jun 2003

is this a new PC, if so, back to the supplier and let them fix the CDRW

If its not new then reinstal the driver, before checking if the drive is still considered functioning as far as you can see from properties in my computer on the system tab and dont confuse the driver with the CD writing software. Perhaps check on the manufacturers site for up to date drivers first.

Despicable Desperado 01:27 28 Jun 2003

Forget the driver option. CDRW do not need drivers to function as cdrom drives within windows. The writing function is provided by the software. Contact your supplier and get a replacement.

tommy 321 13:45 28 Jun 2003

thankyou both very much will try options regards tommy

palinka 19:22 28 Jun 2003

there's a possibility that it's your disk(s) that are faulty. I had a dud batch recently - 1st one was OK; next 3 in the box were useless; the rest Ok I hope, but won't know until I try to use them.

mammak 19:42 28 Jun 2003

I agree with palinka, the disc,s you use can make a huge differance, sometime,s cheap are better though the may not last long, i bought 10 from the local comp shop when i first started an their great only a £5, but if your burning important data, i would go for better ie: samsung or the like,s regard,s Mammak

tommy 321 10:22 29 Jun 2003

thanks for responce, i did by some cheap cds first two were ok , then quite a few were not responding to my cd-rw, the last one i put in seemed ok then it got halfway through the task, and just ejected saying cannot continue writing, since then my cd-rw/dvd combo will not perform task atall, it is completely u/s, tommy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?