Where do I put the microfilter

maz2 08:48 05 May 2004

Not as easy as it sounds, I have my own set up ok. I need to install a modem for my friend, however when I've looked at her telephone set up, she has no socket at the back of her PC. Her set up as it is is like this. In main socket she has an extension, her telephone plugs into this, the extension lead then goes to the back of the PC where it is plugged into a surge protector, then a lead coming out of the surge protector to the back of the PC, there is therefore nowhere to put a splitter at the back of the PC also I don't think you can plug ADSL modems into surge protectors (hers is a Belkin although not a new one shes had it quite a while) any suggestions?

The GnoMe 08:51 05 May 2004

you put the splitter in the phone socket, with the adsl coming out of one side and the telephone coming out of the other side

computernerdiamnot 09:52 05 May 2004

The same as what Gnome says. I have a Belkin surge as well, i plug the phone line into the input and then plug the filter coming out of the output then i attach modem and telephone.

maz2 09:54 05 May 2004

Yes I know that but what happens behind the PC all she has in a normal telephone plug that goes into the surge and one coming out of the surge into the dial up modem, I cant plug the adsl modem in there as it would go into the surge and I read somewhere that you cant do this

maz2 09:56 05 May 2004

Sorry I didn't see the last post, I did read somewhere that you couldn't plug a microfilter into a surge I think Belkin brought out new surge protectors for ADSL but as this is an older one I'm not sure

TBH1 10:48 05 May 2004

I think the easiest way would be to use a usb adsl modem - - I think maybe you will neet some kind of network card installed to use the other sort ( a bit technical there ;) )

TBH1 10:50 05 May 2004

woops - -I've lost the plot somewhere.

stlucia 12:55 05 May 2004

I don't quite understand your setup. Does the extension have a two-way (or more) socket on the end of it, and the phone is plugged into one socket and the PC into the other via a surge protector?

If that's the case, and you want to retain the dial-up modem, you need to put a filter into each of the two sockets on the end of the extension lead. Then the phone and asdl modem can plug into the appropriate sockets on one filter, and the dial-up modem into the phone socket on the other filter.

Megatyte 15:38 05 May 2004

Put the filter between the surge protector and the extension.

AH

maz2 16:23 05 May 2004

Right this is the set up Main telephone Socket, telephone plugged into this also extension (it looks like a double socket adapter) extension runs to back of PC where it just has an ordinary phone plug, this goes straight into surge protector, lead then coming out of surge protector to dial up modem, she will not be needing the dial up modem and there is no telephone near computer

Megatyte 16:36 05 May 2004

What you need is item code FV97F from click here

If the 56K modem is not needed and there is no phone then the telephone surge protector can be disconnected.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?