Where do I find the volume lable on a hd

Ambasedor 15:05 05 Jan 2009

I am trying to change a new hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS but cmd is asking for the correct volume lable so where do I find this or what do I type in please

MAJ 15:14 05 Jan 2009

Just press Return, that will set a default Volume Label.

MaxUpload 15:16 05 Jan 2009

Type in VOL C: where C is the drive you are converting and the correct volume label will be shown.

DieSse 15:21 05 Jan 2009

The volume label is user specified - you can type in whatever you want, that will help you identify the drive.

Or as MAJ says, type in nothing and it will call it "Local Disk".

Or if you are needing to confirm the Volume Label for the program to continue - Open My Computer, and in the right-hand panel. under Hard Drives, it will show the Volume Label so

MAIN (C:) - where MAIN (or whatever) is the Volume Label.

Ambasedor 16:33 05 Jan 2009

thank you all i have tried all those as you said but still nothing ? it keeps telling me al words are invalid

DieSse 17:12 05 Jan 2009

Open My Computer

Right Click on the appropriate drive and select Properties

In the top box type in a new Volume Label (keep it simple).

Press OK

Then go back to your converter and use the new Volume Label you've just typed in.

I am Spartacus 17:27 05 Jan 2009

What does it show if you type in 'dir' (without the quotes) and press enter from the cmd box?

Ambasedor 17:39 05 Jan 2009

Going to my computer and properties of the drive didnt work and I get the directories of c drive when I type dir in. I think I am in the wrong drive I should be in the I drive so how do I change cmd to the I drive

I am Spartacus 17:41 05 Jan 2009

Type in the drive letter followed by a colon e.g. i: and press enter.

DieSse 17:49 05 Jan 2009

"Going to my computer and properties of the drive didnt work"

What do you mean? - what happened? It's supposed to work and is a very basic standard method to view and change Volume Labels.

Switcher 17:59 05 Jan 2009

Click on RUN. Type label. Click OK. Type any name you like E.G. Ambasedor. Press enter. That is now your HDD Vol Label

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?