Where is Control Panel (XP) equivalent in Vista

johnincrete 08:14 18 Jun 2010

A friend has bought some external speakers for his Acer laptop that runs Vista.
When they were plugged in, the laptop continued to output sound to its internal speakers.
I regularly switch speakers & microphones via control panel in XP.
How do you do it in Vista?
Words on one sylable please - I have never seen Vista before!

tullie 08:27 18 Jun 2010

Click the start orb,its in the right column.You could also right click the entry,and place on the desktop if you wish.

onthelimit 08:46 18 Jun 2010

In control panel, there is the option for a Classic View. do that, and it's just like XP.

mooly 12:34 18 Jun 2010

Look for sound card manufacturer in control panel... possibly Realtek.

Or you can access all settings from the system tray icon if it's showing at the bottom right... look for the speaker symbol.

woodchip 17:21 18 Jun 2010

If you right Click the Task Bar then Properties Choose Start Menu/Classic you will then find the control Panel

Graham. 23:29 18 Jun 2010

There may be an Fn function key to switch between speaker output.

Woolwell 23:34 18 Jun 2010

Fairly sure that my Vista Acer laptop automatically turns off internal speakers when there is an external connection. Too late to check tonight. Are you getting sound in the external speakers as well as internal?

johnincrete 06:07 19 Jun 2010

No sound from external speakers at all - and they worked OK when connected afterwards to my PC.
Will try to find control panel when I go next week.
Meanwhile, thanks everyone for taking time to help

Woolwell 12:03 19 Jun 2010

Just checked my Acer and when I plug in external speakers it does automatically switch. Are they powered speakers? Which socket are they being connected to? They should go in the headphone socket and make sure the connection is fully home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017