Where can I get my router number from?

PC_HelpMe 10:48 02 Oct 2010

Hi,

i need my "router number" - I believe it is one of these 000.000.000.000 kind of numbers (three digits with full stops between them). Where do I get this from and would the number actually be called a "Router Number"?

Nontek 10:50 02 Oct 2010

It is called a Key normally, usually found on the rear of the actual router.

Nontek 10:51 02 Oct 2010

Or at least, it is on BT HomeHubs.

lotvic 10:55 02 Oct 2010

If you mean the routers home page for configuration then it is usually
http:// followed by
You just type it into the address bar in your browser.
but some other routers are slightly different so if you tell us what router you have someone with the same will know.

gengiscant 10:55 02 Oct 2010

Do you mean the ip address ? like 192.168.0.1?

Woolwell 10:59 02 Oct 2010

Which router is it?

PC_HelpMe 11:21 02 Oct 2010

It is a Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl - I am trying to get my Amazon Kindle to connect to my network but so far it won't do it - so I am having to try and connect it manually which involves putting the following information in:

Network Name
Connection Type
IP Address . . .
Subnet Mask . . .
Router . . .
DNS . . .
Security type
Password

I think I know where to get most of these from - except the actual "router" number as the page on the Kindle that asks for these things show the full stops with spaces as I have shown above - looking like the router also needs an actual number next to it.

Woolwell 11:41 02 Oct 2010

The router number ought to be 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the access to configure it (it is it's IP address).

Reading your other posts I think that you hid your SSID. The Kindle now doesn't seem to correctly find the wireless network. When connected tghe router should automatically allocate it an IP address. I think that the way ahead here is for you to enter the router's configuration set up an SSID and then try to connect the Kindle.

robin_x 11:47 02 Oct 2010

Also while router home page and sub-pages should give you lots of info, Start / Run cmd on your pc to open a cmd (DOS) box

Type 'ipconfig /all' without the quotes for another sourse of information.

'ipconfig /?' for syntax and help.

PC_HelpMe 12:11 02 Oct 2010

Yes we did hide the SSID but have "unhidden" it since, although still cannot get the Kindle to connect.

PC_HelpMe 12:16 02 Oct 2010

When "unhidden" it does find our router and even shows it as full strength signal - but after entering the WPA password key - it still says it is unable to connect to wi-fi network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?