Where can I get drivers for USB card reader?

j3nks 22:23 27 Jan 2006

I have both an internal USB multi card reader and an external USB card reader. Neither currently work on my windows xp SP2 PC. External drive is fine on other PC's.
When I plug it in or restart the pc just says found new hardware and searches for the drivers but cannot find them so does not install.
What I need to know wher can I get the generic windows drivers for card readers to see if I can get them to install that way.
Looked on manufacturers site but no drivers for XP as not needed for XP only drivers for 98

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:28 27 Jan 2006

Unistall all usb root hubs

reboot the pc with the readers plugged in and let XP find the new hardware and install

rsturbo 00:16 28 Jan 2006

update your chipset drivers and update the usb drivers, if this does not work (probable!) try installing a new pci usb expansion card £20

j3nks 19:33 28 Jan 2006

I could realy do with some help or going to have to format PC and I dont realy want to go through that again

Rayuk 19:53 28 Jan 2006

click here
May be of help

Stuartli 19:57 28 Jan 2006

XP should recognise the card readers automatically and there should be no requirement to install an additional USB card - it would install in the same way in any case.

Check from Device Manager whether the Enhanced USB Host Controllers are installed.

You could also undertake an

sfc /scannow
(type it into Run and have your XP installation disk handy) as system files may have become corrupted or are missing.

Stuartli 19:59 28 Jan 2006

Also see under USB in this link:

click here

j3nks 22:04 01 Feb 2006

Restored system to an earlier point and got my USB 's back but still no memorycard readers working.
Device manager says it is an enhanced usb
Tried sfc /scannow but ran but then just disapeared so assume everything is OK.
When trying to manualy install drivers it wants to look for .inf files but all the drivers on my system show another sufix mainly .sys is this correct?
Driver Cashe\i386 only has .exe .cab and .sys files.

Any Idea where I can get the .inf files to try installing, USB man has link to a site that says mine are fine but if I want to download them must pay upfront, not that keen to do this as I'm guessing they may not help.

skidzy 22:46 01 Feb 2006

Have you recently uninstalled any software ?
Also have you tried system restore ?

j3nks 21:15 22 Feb 2006

Well took the drastic stef of formatting C drive now all working fine

Stuartli 21:52 23 Feb 2006

All you probably needed to do was an XP Repair....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017