Where can I find the best, free anti-virus program

Triprajul 19:53 30 Mar 2010

Greetings:

I need the best free anti-virus program available on the Internet. Any suggestions from the Forum are greatly appreciated.

Technotiger 20:01 30 Mar 2010

Microsoft Security Essentials click here

csqwared 20:04 30 Mar 2010

click here
click here
click here

Which is the best is down to personal preference - my choice is Avast. There are other freebies out there.

john bunyan 22:14 30 Mar 2010

Another is Avira. But I think Technotiger's suggestion is more popular these days. AVG was excellent but sometimes seems to clash with some firewalls.

rdave13 23:40 30 Mar 2010

Avast 5 for me.

EARLR 11:21 31 Mar 2010

A lot of us are using Microsoft (MSE) which is free.

Rotenone 11:30 31 Mar 2010

I have just purchased a refurbished Packard Bell Easynote laptop LJ71-RB-025(from Currys).
As expected,I received just the machine. Are the manuals for this laptop available and if so where may I purchase one.

weedman 15:10 31 Mar 2010

I now use Threatfire by PC TOOLS and find it very good and I back this up with SPYBOT search & destroy.

Bagsey 15:34 31 Mar 2010

You should start a new thread for your question. You are crashing into someone elses postings.

interzone55 16:02 31 Mar 2010

This is one of those questions that is often asked, and you'll always get half a dozen different answers, because lots of people all have their favourites, and to be honest the software is pretty much all as equally effective most of the time.

For the record I use Avast 5, I like it because it updates the virus definitions regularly in the background with interfering with my work or flashing up annoying pop-ups that need to be clicked. It doesn't even force a restart after the program has been updated, instead popping up a red bubble advising you to restart, but that disappears if you ignore it.

As far as I can remember AVG only updates once a day, but Avira checks for updates once an hour.

al's left peg 19:27 14 Apr 2010

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017