Where can i buy

ronalddonald 15:31 12 May 2008

Where can an external dvd and software loader disc drive from. My laptop dvd drive doesnt play discs no more but still loads software discs. Ive reinstalled the drivers but no dvd will work in dvd drive. Its a Mat*!@:a DVD-Ram UJ-841S, DVD, RW, . The Laptop is a Toshiba L20 celeron. Thank you for any advice.

chub_tor 15:53 12 May 2008

When you say that your laptop dvd drive doesn't play discs any more do you mean that the software programme doesn't automatically start or that the software starts but you don't see any video playing?

Joe R 16:39 12 May 2008
  Totally-braindead 17:16 12 May 2008

Or do you mean it will load CDs but not DVDs.

You could try a cleaning disk and see if that does anything. If not then the DVD laser is probably kaput as it has 2 lasers I am lead to believe one for DVD and one for CD and its not uncommon for one to fail.

Theres tons of external DVD players/writers you can get click here if thats what you are after - not sure what you mean "software loader disk drive".

jack 19:56 12 May 2008

Try the Laser cleaning treatment but if I interpret what you say correctly the CD read laser is OK- the DVD laser is died,

ronalddonald 22:00 13 May 2008

The laser or the dvd has died. Thank you all for your suggestions i be offf soon to Novatech to look for a new drive or may be a new laptop.

peter99co 22:17 13 May 2008

My Windows Media Player will not play a DVD but the Arcade Software will so is it really the case that your laser has broken? WMA plays CD's ok

Mine is a Matshita drive as well

Totally-braindead 10:17 14 May 2008

peter99co raises an interesting point. If your computer will not read any DVDs at all IE a movie AND a data disk such as a coverdisk DVD or a software DVD then thats one thing, but windows media player does not (by default) read and play movie DVDs. So if thats what you are using to try to play a movie DVD then it wouldn't work anyway and it does not necessarily mean the drive is faulty.
As long as you have tried a software DVD as well as a movie and it doesn't work either then its reasonable to say the DVD laser is probably gone.

Grey Goo 16:32 14 May 2008

Mine does if I set it up in autoplay list

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?