where is bluetooth?

osborneuk 07:16 07 Oct 2009

Ihave an Advent 4211 (MSI Wind). The bluetooth light comes on BUT there is no entry in Control Panel (XP) for Bluetooth devices also running services.msc doesn't list bluetooth. Running fsquirt does start the file transfer dialogue but that's not what I want to do. Help appreciated.

mgmcc 09:09 07 Oct 2009

Is there an entry in the Network Adapters section of Device Manager for the Bluetooth device?

osborneuk 09:41 07 Oct 2009

yes with an entry for bluetooth RFCOMM. says drivers are from Toshiba.

mgmcc 12:46 07 Oct 2009

For the Bluetooth applet to appear in Control Panel, there should be the file BTHPROPS.CPL in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

What I'd be inclined to do is to uninstall the Bluetooth adapter in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows "find new hardware" and reinstall it - SP2 implemented native support for Bluetooth in XP. Alternatively, if you have a CD with the drivers for the computer's peripherals, use that to reinstall the Bluetooth adapter.

osborneuk 17:40 08 Oct 2009

Hi
yes I have the file in the system32 directory. Microsoft says:
To add a device, follow these steps on your computer:

1. Click Start, click Run, type bthprops.cpl, and then click OK.
2. In Bluetooth Settings, click Add.
3. In the Add Bluetooth Device Wizard, click to select the My device is set up and ready to be found check box, and then click Next.

I did that (step 1) and nothing happened. I also went to Help and clicked the link to Bluetooth devices - nothing happened. It's just not appearing in control panel.

mgmcc 20:41 08 Oct 2009

Try double clicking the BTHPROPS.CPL file directly in the System32 folder. If that still doesn't work, check if you have these files in the System32 folder:

BTHCI.DLL

BTHSERV.DLL

BTPANUI.DLL

osborneuk 07:28 10 Oct 2009

yup - the three files show as being present,

Double clicking BTHPROPS.CPL has the same affecct as running it from the start menu - nothing. <|:-(

osborneuk 08:29 10 Oct 2009

I have a control panel entry Bluetooth Local COM which shows when opened:
COM 6 BT Port LocalCOM - client
COM 7 BT Port

osborneuk 08:39 10 Oct 2009

I have a control panel entry Bluetooth Local COM which shows when opened:
COM 6 BT Port LocalCOM - client
COM 7 BT Port LocalCOM - server
COM 10 -14 BT Port Information Exchanger
COM 20 -22 BT Port HSP Manager

Hope this makes sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017