Where is best to get a laptop?

Steve A 11:26 04 May 2007

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the next couple of months or so, and was hoping that I could get some guidance or advice from the people in the know on here.

Firstly, I'm not sure of where the best places to buy are, I'm guessing that online is cheaper as it usually is with everything else. Looknig in the magazine I saw some laptops and sites that I'd not found when generally searching. Can anyone recomend good ones?

Secondly, I only have a limited understanding of spec requirements. So what should I be looking for? I want Vista Home Premium as this looks to be far better than the Basic version. I'd like 2gb processor too if possible, but I don't know what requirements i would need for ram to run vista and I'd also like it to play the occasional game, nothing too heavy Fifa for example.

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks in adance.

wee eddie 13:14 04 May 2007

What are you going to be using the Laptop for?

All the rest is window dressing.

The Brigadier 13:17 04 May 2007

Depends how much you want to spend.
But for starters try Novatech click here or Rock click here or Tosiba click here= and contact one of their Outlet Stores.
Or PCWorld have good bargins at the moment.

To run Vista you need at least 1GB of RAM, but 2GB is better, Hard Drive 100GB+.

Steve A 13:32 04 May 2007

Hi, thanks for the responses. I'll have a look at the suggestions.

I'll probably be using it for standard home stuff such as surfing, playing music and games on it.

I'd occasionally be using it for web design and movie creation too.

I'm thinking of this as being my main/only computer. So although protability won't be a major issue it will be nice to have the option of using it in various locations rather than a desktop.

wee eddie 17:53 04 May 2007

and have a fiddle with all those on display.

Take no means of payment with you. Return home and surf the Net and compare what's there with what you have just seen. As this is a lot of money to spend and if you're not miles from PCW, Staples or Office World. Repeat the process you'll find that your desires are larger than your wallet but at least you'll know where you are heading.

This sounds like a cop-out, but it's not. We each have our favourites and a different set of requirements and are likely to be slightly biased.

Totally-braindead 18:16 04 May 2007

Most laptops will do just about anything you wish with one exception. Games. Gaming laptops are very expensive £1000+ and theres no guarantee that in a years time that it will still run the latest games. And laptops graphics are not upgradable. About the only thing you can reasonably easily upgrade on a laptop is adding memory and perhaps a larger hard drive.

You don't mention a budget. If you are into music/videos then as large a hard drive as you can get is good as is a lot of memory, especially for Vista.

If you're still set on a laptop then I too would have a look at PC World and see what you like, then see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Mind you some of their special offers are pretty much unbeatable for complete systems. If you do buy from PC World don't take all their addons, just get the laptop.

Steve A 20:36 04 May 2007

Thanks everyone, I didn't expect a store to be as favorable as it appears to be so I'll definately take a look.

Gaming isn't a massive draw, it's just something that would be nice to have the ability to do once in a while, so I think I can give this a miss.

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll look forwards to investigating further.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?