When would you need a case fan?

Alf58 20:29 28 Apr 2007

I recently upgraded my graphics card and as a result, needed to upgrade my PSU up to 500 Watts. During the course of all this, I noticed there are the necessary screw holes and air holes at the back of my case for an 8cm case fan. Under what circumstances would a case fan be necessary? I am running a 2.8 Pentium 4 Processor, 1250 Mb ram, a Radion 1300X graphics card and a have 120 gig hard drive.

spuds 20:35 28 Apr 2007

If you haven't already got a fan fitted, then I would strongly suggest that you install one asap, considering the items that you have mentioned.Air circulation is an essential item in a computer case.

bremner 20:37 28 Apr 2007

I agree with spuds and also suggest checking if there is a fan at the front of the machine.

Alf58 20:43 28 Apr 2007

No I dont think there is a fan at the front of the case. The PSU has two fans on it, the graphics card has a fan and of course the CPU has one. Case fans are fairly cheap so its off to PC World. I presume there was no case fan fitted in the first place because the original graphics card was was only 64mb(only had a heatsink without a fan)and the original PSU was 250 watts. I guess that because of my upgrades more fan power is required.

Technotiger 20:49 28 Apr 2007

Hi, your processor has a fan, your graphics card has a fan, your psu has a fan - there may or may not be a fan in the front of your case, but in any case unless you have problems with over-heating, you probably do not need extra case fan(s).

Technotiger 20:53 28 Apr 2007

PS - I have a similar spec in my tower, I also had a case fan on one side-panel - I removed the fan on the side-panel without any detrimental effect, it was a bit noisy with that fan.

Technotiger 20:55 28 Apr 2007

Amendment - I disconnected the side fan, not removed.

woodchip 20:58 28 Apr 2007

If you fitted a New PSU it should have a Fan. Built in. Are these the screw holes you refer to? round the 3" hole?

woodchip 21:00 28 Apr 2007

If the temps are OK there should not be no need for extra ones. All it will do is make it more noisy

Eargasm 21:02 28 Apr 2007

Just a thought when fitting extra case fans, should a fan blow air in or suck air out as some can be fitted either way round ?

Technotiger 21:04 28 Apr 2007

Suck in from the front - blow out at the back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017