When starting win 2K My PC can somtimes take over

yuffy 09:36 12 Nov 2003

5 Mins to load.
I have windows 2000 loaded on another PC I have Sometimes it can take over five miniutes to load.
I have Defragged the hard drive, there is plenty of space on the hard drive. I don't run any hungry progs on it. It mainly has a few childrens games & my wife uses it for the internet.
I have run norton system works which reports fine, I have let PCpitstop perform a test, which came back fine. I have run lavasoft to remove any spyware. Checked start up to remove any unwanted programs loading.
The RAM is 512MB
CPU is athlon 2.4

Any ideas, cause I'm lost

johnnyrocker 09:43 12 Nov 2003

whats it like with norton disabled?

johnny.

MichelleC 11:24 12 Nov 2003

I only have bare essentials of NSW on hd as it can slow things down, as johnnyrocker says. I'm also not sure if it's Win Dr actually fixes or hinders.

yuffy 12:24 12 Nov 2003

I need it

hugh-265156 13:04 12 Nov 2003

you may have lots of programs trying to start up along with windows,this will slow things down.

stop all programs from loading up at start up apart from your av and firewall and see if it speeds up any.they will still run ok when you need them.

use msconfig,although i am told win2k doesnt have this built in,you can get it click here

click start/run and type msconfig or misconfig.exe and click ok

click the start up tab and untick everything apart from the av and firewall.

if you are not sure what the programs are,a good sourse of info on startups can be found click here

canard 13:58 12 Nov 2003

Spyware from surfing may be on your HD. Download free antispyware- Spybot and Adaware and when you run them you may find unexpected lodgers using up your RAM. There's lots of other spyware prevention apps avilable but these 2 should do the job.

yuffy 14:20 12 Nov 2003

Done all of that.
However the problem was all the shortcuts on the desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?