When is a Netbook not a netbook?

Glen 20:43 01 Mar 2010

Answer: When PC World says so! My wife's new Packard Bell netbook is highly rated with a Celeron 743 processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 HDD, and an 11.6 inch screen - but no optical drive. This is physically the same size as the larger Netbooks reviewed in PCA magazine. My wife bought the 3yr warranty, and it was expensive. Later when reading the literature I found we had a Laptop warranty, which costs more than double a Netbook warranty. PC World claims it is a laptop, on the basis of its specification. Did I buy a Laptop or a Netbook?
Glen

MAT ALAN 20:50 01 Mar 2010

click here

looks like a netbook to me...

can't comment any further on PCWorld, but i wouldn't be seen dead in the place...

citadel 22:19 01 Mar 2010

I would say its a laptop because of the cpu and 3g of memory.

northumbria61 22:25 01 Mar 2010

I would suggest you go to the Manufacturers website and input the model number - that should determine what it is.

I also disagree with some of the comments - many Netbooks are available with Windows 7 installed. However I haven't seen a Netbook with 3GB Ram - but I could have been looking in the wrong place!

MAT ALAN 22:30 01 Mar 2010

Dell’s divider line may very well be at the 12” screen size, considering anything beyond that a notebook.
click here

text taken from link...

So it seems PCW have taken it upon themselves to have a definitive answer to this issue...

iscanut 22:32 01 Mar 2010

If it's running Windows 7 starter edition, it is a netbook. If it has Windows 7 Home premium then I would suggest it's a laptop especially as it has 3Gb Ram and a celeron processor rather than the Atom that comes with a netbook.. In my opinion, you have a laptop.

alan2273 22:34 01 Mar 2010

I have a Samsung N140 with W7 0n it, but the maximum most netbooks have is 2 GB's RAM.

MAT ALAN 22:52 01 Mar 2010

it might help to know the exact make/model no. and how the product was advertised...

northumbria61 07:53 02 Mar 2010

Thanks for keeping us all right Beta

peugeot man 08:05 02 Mar 2010

click here click here

Manufacturer describes it as a Netbook. Perhaps this is a case for consumer direct as it appears PCW / DSG are mis-describing this item

MAT ALAN 09:07 02 Mar 2010

It's a Packard Bell DOT/MU.. Sold as an Ultra Mobile Laptop.

click here-[Laptops_LT]&mctag=gg_goog_7904

if this is indeed the one it clearly says NETBOOK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017